V-wheel Eccentric Nut question asked a different way - was it ever built backwards?

About three months ago I asked a question that got a very quick reply that seemed correct Calibration and Maintenance - X-Carve Assembly. Now I am returning to this question to clear the air of a further misunderstanding. I am a member of a Maker Space. When I proposed to reverse the position of the eccentric nuts to match the video, it was suggested: “We have an older model and it came that way.” which implies that it has always been reversed.
Have any previous model or early edition been assembled reversed. Other than the video that I linked to is there any other authoritative material I could use to convince others that ours is assembled backwards. I believe this is the cause for the V-wheels becoming loose and needing frequent adjustments. Also, having the head of the screw reversed means that inserting an Allen key into the head from the back side requires a tool be modified (cut short) to access the head.

you can examine the assembly guide for all versions of the xcarve here: https://x-carve-instructions.inventables.com/ And these will show within the X carriage assembly and the Gantry End Plate Assembly sections the intended assembly methods for each model.

it appears to me that they all use outward facing eccentric nuts (shown in the calibration video you mentioned before)
Here is the eccentric nut video from the pre 2016 version: Eccentric Spacer Motion Study - YouTube

can you share a photo of how yours is installed? this may help identify the issue, if there is one.

Yes I will get a photo to add to this topic. And actually, it is not the nut, but the screw that is backwards. The way ours is assembled the nut has nothing to so secure it to the screw, so it is always coming loose.

The Eccentric nut is really just a spacer with flat sides to give the appearance of a nut, it is not threaded, but rather it has an off-center straight walled hole, and this allows it to rotate freely, the Screw and Lock-Nut should be securely tightened but allow the spacer the ability to rotate (not loosely, but freely with a wrench)

This model shows the lack of threads of the eccentric “nut” (really a spacer).

IF the Screw and Lock-Nut (Red Arrows) are not properly tightened, then the eccentric spacer may be easier to move out of the set position.

This is how all four screws are installed.
In our case, the eccentric is threaded. and there is no Nyloc nut or jamb nut to keep it from working loose.

1 Like

Ok, this is the 2015 version. There is an upgrade kit to swap these over to the current version that is shown in all of the documents…

https://www.inventables.com/technologies/x-carve-eccentric-spacer-upgrade

Thank you for your explanation. :+1:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.