Vbits and easel

When I use the vbit 90 or 60. the easel it is have to process very slowly. When it starts it will cut the design 2x almost on top of each other. But when I use a different bit like a straight cut no problems and easel process quickly. Please help I was cutting the letter with vbit the fish was done right after with a different bit. Uploading…]()

Please share the Easel file for both of these carves.
I suspect too aggressive cuts vs rigidity issues.

Thank you
Julie Eubanks

The plunge rate for the vbit at 20 looks pretty agressive but other then that that is all i see. Better see what Haldor has to say.

How did you set your Z zero?
Do you have enough clearance above the work? I noticed it’s twice as thick.

On your first image it seems like the V-bit plunged very deep, see the “dog bone” effect which is caused by the V-bit going to deep vs what is designed. Can be due to incorrect angle of entered V-bit or work flow related (incorrect Z zero).
I think the initial pass is too deep. Please elaborate on your work flow.

The fish look okay but you have work flow issues here, your design is imported into Easel and have two paths for each pass (Blue lines in image below). It is also ragged, but this is due to design/intent.
Again, please elaborate on your work flow :slight_smile:

I have my but touch the wood to zero it out. It is very possible that I’m doing that wrong.

I have my but touch the wood to zero it out. It is very possible that I’m doing that wrong

I’m very sorry.
I’m new to this but I don’t understand what work flow means.

Work flow = your steps such as file preparation (programs used), setup, zeroing (how) etc.

That sound about right.

Two pitfalls, very apparent if total carve depth is shallow:

• Your Z-height is not uniform to the spoil board causing the material to rise/sink relative to bit. Solution is to do a skim cut of your spoil board, or skim cut a 2nd layer of spoil board.
  • While the spoil board may be perfectly aligned with Z, most materials are not uniform in thickness. Solution is to plane the material to be carved, either prior or after the carve.

I do the Computer part upstairs then I take my laptop down to the basement.
I might have to change the bit out.
I put the board on waste board I use Double tape Then I will use easel to get the design I need. I use to easel move the router to the corner of the board to zero it out. I will touch the bit to the board and go through the process of easel to start carving.

This illustrate uneven material, you’ll see that despite bit is zeroed correctly the actual surface may be uneven causing depth discrepencies: (wavyness exxagregated, but most materials are never really true or uniform in thickness)

UnevenMaterial