Wall to Wall Cabinet

I have been working on a wall to wall media console for a room in my house and when the cabinetmaker beta began I was curious to see if I could utilize it to get this cabinet done quicker. I have mocked up something that could work but it’s not 100% like I want it.

For what I need, I need the drawer banks to only have 2 drawers and be able to resize drawers individually (I think you guys already have this in the works).

I also have tall molding on each side of the cabinet (since it’s wall to wall) and I need some kind of “overhang” on each side, probably about 2", for the molding to terminate in to. This would be easy to accomplish with a face-frame type cabinet with overhangs on each side of the face-frame but I’d like to see if I can’t utilize the cabinetmaker beta. I created an extra cabinet with a door on each side, almost like a filler cabinet, but the minimum size is somewhere around 5" and that’s too much space to lose. Also, that method is not ideal. Would this be something that could be accomplished some other way using the cabinetmaker app?

Overall I’m not sure a wall to wall frameless cabinet would work in this wall to wall scenario?? I’m really trying to accomplish the whole cabinet without having any add-ons outside of the app. I have ideas to make what I want work but I’d rather cut it all out on the cnc at once.

Here’s the project I worked up. Any input would be appreciated!

https://easel.inventables.com/projects/hpUqLc1tj6XdQpYjRgGzyg

Thanks,

Jonathan

P.S. - As a complete aside, with Inventables getting into the cabinet making software game it would be super awesome if the X-Carve Pro had an optional add-on for a vacuum table. It’s going to be fun trying to find an efficient way to hold down all the parts. I guess I could always use tabs but that’s not super ideal.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! Yes, you will be able to adjust the number of drawers in a cabinet and the size of the drawers very soon. Fillers are on our radar, but we don’t currently have a solution built into Easel Cabinetmaker.

I’m interested in getting more insights about what types of features and options you would want for fillers, though.

1. Your current project has base cabinets with integrated toe kicks. Would you want the filler panels to keep the profile of the toe kick?
  2. How would you expect the side and front panels of a standard L-shaped cabinet filler to go together? Butt joints, rabbet/dado, mortise/tenon, etc.

There are no wrong answers to those questions - my goal is to understand the type of solution that would work best for you!

As far as a workaround, if you know the dimensions the fillers should be and how you want to construct them, you can create a new workpiece in the Easel project and draw out the filler panels that you’d need. This does involve some extra work and planning, and the filler panels wouldn’t be shown in the 3D preview of the cabinets in Easel Cabinetmaker. This approach would allow you to cut all of the parts on the CNC, and you may be able to fit some of the filler panels onto other workpieces with the nested cabinet panels to maximize your material use.

I hope this helps, and as always, thank you for your feedback!

1 Like

Your current project has base cabinets with integrated toe kicks. Would you want the filler panels to keep the profile of the toe kick?

I would think so, just so you could terminate your base/shoe molding into it and everything look consistent. Maybe a choice for both?

How would you expect the side and front panels of a standard L-shaped cabinet filler to go together? Butt joints, rabbet/dado, mortise/tenon, etc.

I think this would depend on your preference or whatever was easiest. I tend to say butt joint on this but I have included a forum question/answer regarding frameless cabinets butting into a wall and how others have dealt with them.

The problem with frameless cabinets touching a wall is two fold (I think), what do you do with the molding terminating into the door/drawer instead of having a faceframe and what do you do about having enough clearance for the doors/drawers opening being right up against a wall.

I think some type of filler option would solve both of these. And maybe I’m using the wrong wording but I do think the below link and photo explain what I mean.

And in the photo below I tend to think the far left option would be best, in my opinion. At least that was my plan on how to handle this. Keep in mind the image below is a top down view with the cabinet against a wall.

I hope this helps!!

-Jonathan Brasher

1 Like

Jonathan,

So far I like the cabinet software, it can only get better. I fully agree with you on the vacuum table for the X-Carve Pro. there is room to make it work, with a little innovation it can be done! but I would rather buy one that I could install onto my existing table. Tabs work but create more sanding and time to the project.

1 Like

Jonathan -

So sorry for the delayed reply. Thank you for your response and for the additional resources you shared - very helpful! We’ll keep you in the loop through our weekly updates as our engineers start developing solutions for fillers.

Don’t hesitate to reach out if you have additional feedback or questions. Have a great weekend! :sunny:

No worries, that sounds great. I look forward to seeing what’s in store on this subject.

1 Like