Wasteboard for Xcarve Pro

Is there a file to make your own replacement wasteboard?

2 Likes

look in the projects tab

X-Carve Pro Wasteboard Quadrant | Inventables

2 Likes

I changed my waste board quite simple. Took the MDF one out, lay it on top of a piece of melamine to get the exact size and hole positions. Drilled all the holes, slid it back in and was ready to go. Took me about two hours to complete.

2 Likes

on an Xcarve Pro? there are cncd slots and grooves necessary to mount it to the frame that are much different than the standard Xcarve setup.

This is the x-carve, not the x-carve pro

1 Like

2 Likes

just set up my carve pro, and easel suggested I surface the waste board at first, to make sure everything was perfectly flat. but it only surfaced exactly 48x48 and my waste boards measure 50.25x48. so now I have a slight ridge on the edge of my table on either end. is this normal and supposed to happen this way?

I recently setup my XCP and after running the wasteboard surfacing job it only left a ridge on the left and right side that is outside the cut area. It surfaced all the way to the edge on the front and back, which allows for tiling. Did you make sure you homed your machine and set that as work zero before starting the job?

1 Like

Yes, it sounds like it did exactly what yours did. Left a ridge on left and right side and surfaced all the way through front to back. I just didn’t know if that was normal or not.

1 Like

Yep, that should be right. You should have at least 48" from left to right of carving ability and all the way through on front to back so you’ll be able to tile.

1 Like

I will be needing to cut a piece on the machine that is 47.5" wide. I would be using oversized plywood that measures 48.5"x96.5" for the projects. My question is this, what size surfacing bit will I need to use to in order to get the maximum width in the X direction on the spoilboard? Or if it is better asked this way, if I put a 1" surfacing bit on it, what will be my total X width between the created lips on the right and left side? I am keeping in mind space for clamping material down and I would like to be running a 1/4" bit but if there is only space for an 1/8" bit, that is fine too. I will be working with 5x5 Baltic Birch sheets too and can cut them to size to fit inside the space created by the surfacing. Anything else you can offer for my situation would be much appreciated! Thank you!

Yes but that’s a good thing. Now you have a left and possibly a front quadrant to register up against.

2 questions about the waste board

1. How long did it take for the machine to level it with the larger bit included?
  2. In the bottom of my XCP box is 2 long waste boards but I was also sent 4 smaller versions which are noted in the setup videos. What is the 2 long ones that came in the large XCP box for?

The original design used 2 larger boards.
The design was then updated to use the 4 squares, allowing the cnc to actually machine replacements for itself. . . With the larger ones the XCP isn’t large enough to machine it’s own replacements.

Ah, that makes sense - nice change/upgrade to the machine! Thank you for the info.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.