Wasteboard surfacing

I want a level surface to work on. I got a surfacing bit from Whiteside, 30 bucks, anyway, can I surface the existing wasteboard, the one that came with the machine Xcarve 1000x1000? I’m concerned about the effect on the holes used for hold downs, plus its gonna remove all the purty little markings:)

You can, but consider that while the machine is 1000x1000, the working area is only about 750x750. So you will end up with a pocket with rounded corners. Also, check that your machine is properly squared and trammed, otherwise if the error is larger than the small clearance between the top of the board and the tip edge of the threaded inserts, you’ll be machining those down. That small buffer I helpful for those times when you don’t get the bottom cut precisely right and the bit digs into the board but does not hit the inserts.

You can buy another piece of material to use as a spoil board, hold it down and drill the holes every 75mm on a grid. Then bolt it down and surface that instead. Something like 1/4" plywood. Much easier to replace when it wears down and you call aways take it out if you need the extra headroom.

thank you, that means ill be screwing into the existing wasteboard right?, where to put the screws without messing up said wasteboard, unk., a grid pattern placing screws maybe in the middle of each square of 4 existing hold down holes, if I’m explaining that correctly:

.      .
                    .      .

Use the existing threaded inserts to mount your supplementary wasteboard.

1 Like

Lining up those accurately, the first time!? Idk bout that, my skill set ain’t that set :grinning:

Let the machine do it for you.

1 Like

You don’t have to line them up. Just make like 8 holes that have the same spacing. Move it around until it lines up. Bolt it down and cut it out.

1 Like