Wedding Gift - Yosemite Map

My latest x-carve project was making a wedding gift for my friends after their gorgeous wedding in Yosemite National Park. I took a picture of the overlook sign (pictured) at their ceremony and redrew the diagram of the incredible vista and then carved/framed it in walnut and maple. Finished with medium walnut Danish oil - allowing the oil to pool in the carvings to create the contrast.

19 Likes

That’s an heirloom piece, right there. Excellent job.

2 Likes

Thanks!

what size is that? did you have to tile the tool paths?

The size is roughly 28”x10” and I have the 1000mm x-carve, so no tiling necessary.

That’s impressive!!! Great job!

1 Like

Very nice job - I love the creativity and innovation. ‘After the Wedding’
I’m going to use that idea next wedding my wife drags me out to, ‘we’re not buying a gift until we go to the wedding, because we might see something there that would make the perfect gift!’ I’m sure she’ll go right along.

That is a gift they will remember and talk about at their anniversary for years to come. - You Win the Wedding Gift challenge!

1 Like

Thanks! And yeah - I’m all about the post-wedding gift. I think etiquette allows a wedding gift until the first anniversary, so I’m in the clear! It’s nice in case the wedding sucks and you want to lower the value of your gift. :wink: Just kidding… but maybe…