What bit are for what purpose

Halo good people, I have just finished installing my 1000mm X-carve, but I need help with bits selection.
What bits are used for engraving/cutting/carving various materials? what sizes are appropriate for roughing and finishing… maybe this info is somewhere, please advise!

Here is some info on that…

1 Like

Let me try to answer without any complexity;
First is first, Try simple projects with soft woods to see all your machine alignments are tuned. You will have some problems like V-Wheels adjustments, Belt tightness, Stepper power adjustments are the name of some. When all these start-up is over;

1. Engraving requires pinpoint engraving bit, very shallow carving with minimum feed-rate.
  2. Cutting bits are single and double flute, form of strait, up-spiral and down spiral most commons. I use down cut spiral bit for cutting Plywood, up cut spiral for MDF.
  3. Carving is depends on complexity of the job, if it’s pocket operation or around the image carve you can use regular spiral bits. If you have any other software like V Carve, lettering and carving is very good with V bit. Also there is a free to public software to do lettering, sign making name is F- Ingrave.
  4. 3D Relief requires Ball head bit.
    I hope this helps a little.
    In same time EricJenkins post you link, and he is very good for this. You better follow that link.
2 Likes

My primary bits that I use all the time…

1/4" upcut endmill - I use this for cutting out parts and roughing passes on relief carving.

1/8" ball nose bit - for detail/finishing passes on relief carving.

1/8" down cut end mill - for cutting out smaller parts in thin material (for example the dinosaur puzzles)

1/4" 60 ° v-bit - for most lettering.

1/4 " 90° v-bit - for large lettering.

1/8" 10°, 30°, 45°, 60° - for small/tiny lettering.

A lot will depend on what you plan on making.

2 Likes

thanks Alan & Erik, much appreciated!

1 Like