What could be causing this?

First time cutting this SVG and I’ve come across a problem. There seems to be a line between the first pass and the second pass of the roughing cut. I’m using a brand new Spe 1/8 down cut bit with the Easel recommended settings. I’m following that up with a new Spe 60-degree V-bit for the finishing pass. Chips are coming out nice and it appears that everything is working properly. Is there something that I’m missing?

1 Like

Looks like your xy zero may have been lost or moved during the bit change.

1 Like

Thanks Wayne,
I guess that is a possibility. I did re-probe after changing the bit but maybe there were some chips under the probe or something. I’m going to recarve the piece but pay a little more attention to getting the zero right.

2 Likes

@ClaudeGoode Wayne was referring to the X,Y zero, not the Z zero… However it is possible that all 3 are off from bit to bit.

Here’s the official 2 bit method.

However IF you do this you can skip the whole locking button and re-homing process.

Oh and IF this Xcarve has the newest Z axis, then it’s also possible that you’re hitting the lower limit of travel with the V bit resulting in that lip…
Is this the Standard X-Carve or the X-Carve Pro you’re using?

Thanks Seth! I misspoke. I was confusing the X,Y axis and the Z. I am going to re-carve to see if I can be a little more careful when changing the bits to prevent moving the spindle and messing up the zero. Thanks for the videos.

1 Like

Wayne and Seth,
I re-carved paying close attention to not disturbing the position of the spindle when changing the bit and it carved perfectly this time. Thank you both for your help. I really appreciate the more experienced woodworkers out there helping the new guys like me. It’s people like you that makes this community what it is. Thanks again!

2 Likes