What should i do after assembly is done

Hi my x-carve will be arriving soon and been researching a lot on the machine.
my questions are as follows:

1. After assembly done what should is do next?(calibrate how is it done)(or do a test cut).
  2. Mostly the material i will be using is aluminum, So is there a better bit that i can use other than what they are selling here…
  3. I will be getting the 240v dw611 motor. is there a way to control the speed trough easel.

thank you guys this forum helps a lot.

Search for “adjusting stepper motor voltage”. This seems to trip up most new machines - they cut pretty well, but randomly “lose steps”, particularly while under load.

1 - Shapeoko CNC Router, Rigid, Accurate, Reliable, and Affordable
2 - Shapeoko CNC Router, Rigid, Accurate, Reliable, and Affordable and Shapeoko CNC Router, Rigid, Accurate, Reliable, and Affordable
3 - Shapeoko CNC Router, Rigid, Accurate, Reliable, and Affordable

1 Like

Run the Easel setup.

That wiki recommends the 3 flute. Starting off, he would probably be better off with the two flute Destiny Viper. Gotta move pretty fast for that 3 flute and somehow clear all those chips. Two flute is a little easier to manage starting out.

Which I guess brings up another point. Take every bit of advice with a grain of salt. You will find many answers to your questions by searching the forums. It’s smart to evaluate or consider the many possibilities before blindly following the first advice you receive.

Yeah, that’s why the Materials page Shapeoko CNC Router, Rigid, Accurate, Reliable, and Affordable notes:

The values below may be used in configuring milling operations when using a CAM program to generate G-code to make a cut, but unless your machine is essentially identical to the machine which they were used on, can be considered as only very general guidelines. All values should be verified and tested on a scrap of material first, then one should adjust to match desired chip size and surface finish and time required for completion.

Yeah, I took the fact that it is a SHAPEOKO wiki into account. They should recommend two flutes. Can you make that quick edit? Or is this “wiki” to provide guidance for machines so heavily modded that they bear no resemblance to a Shapeoko? Typically a wiki tries to shoot for the beginner/middle. If you can’t add a note, or this is never updated with better, more accurate information, then why constantly post these links?

Do you have a specific bit to recommend? I’ll gladly add it.

I agree with this 100%. Don’t start with aluminum right away, especially if CNC is new to you. The XC can totally do it, but the material is going to be unforgiving to any errors you make in depth or feed and speed settings.

If you already know what you’re going to make in aluminum, try making a few of them in wood first. Cheap ■■■ wood works great. Cut the wood to be the same size as your AL stock and then spend some time figuring out your fixtures. Fixtures are an art and science and when they work well, you’ll have a smile on your face. When they fail… not so much.

1 Like

http://www.destinytool.com/viper-dvh.html Product Number V20808S