Where do I begin

I know, I’m extremely frustrated right now so I will choose my words wisely.
I downloaded some bump stops, carved the first ones NP, second ones dont fit the spacing for the screws. Same site, what gives?

Where do I find instructions on running this thing that makes sense to an old man. I dont need a walker yet and my mind isnt quite shot (some would disagree with that) however just when it seems to make sense it goes south when I want to go north. Someone please point me in the right direction, cant get through to inventables on my schedule so this is my only true option. I’ve been on boobtube several times but I want something thats sequential if possible.

TIA

What format did you download the bump stops in? Were these Easel projects for the standard X-Carve wasteboard?

If you got the first project to work as expected, you are off to a better start than some others.

What specifically do you need help with?

{:0)

Brandon Parker

Where do you begin really. Aside from just jumping in and trying some stuff where do you grow your knowledge base from. I’m kinda old school, jumpin here to there doesn’t form a consistent learning experience for me. For instance, I want to put in a couple of keyholes for and sign I made, tried to place the board in the middle of the wasteboard as the video had it and when I went to carve it off she goes on her own little tangent leaving me feeling rather miffed. I did set the X, & Y as to where the board was located. Was that right? I have no flippin idea, Thanks for responding though…

I got the bump stops off of Paw Paws workshop… Seems to be the very knowledgeable… idk…

Did you have the keyhole set in the design to where you wanted it based on the X & Y Work Home position?

Brandon Parker

I’m assuming you mean the lower left hand corner to be home? If so, then no, I placed the board in the middle of the waste board as pictured on the tube and set X & Y from there.

I watch alot of @PhillipLunsford youtube site and read a lot in the forums

Youtube PAWPAW

1 Like

It is always a good idea to perform the Machine Home sequence when you turn the machine on and open Easel for the first time each session or after the machine has crashed. Otherwise, if the Machine Home position is somehow not correct, the Work Home position could be off because those coordinates are set in GRBL as an offset from the Machine Home position.

I might be available for a live chat later if you would like to do that. It would be fairly late though…

Brandon Parker

Since we’re on the subject of @PhillipLunsford and it seems your holes don’t line up, It’s quite possible that your Steps/mm are not set correctly, depending on how far off your through holes are… Check out this other PawPaw’s Workshop video on calibrating the axis movement. this may correct your issue if the holes are spaced properly and your CNC is just not carving them in the correct locations…

Tyvm Brandon. I’m not in the shop now, and while I’m eager to talk its not a good time. Time as with most is what I dont have enough of. As you suggested I “homed” the machine several times throughout the day. I use the Z probe and always zero the X n Y to the lower left corner. I “made” several small signs, tried a larger 2 bit sign that had several issues and todays failure with the keyholes really set me off. I realized that I’m not grasping a firm understanding of the way of the “EASEL”.

1 Like

There is definingly a large learning curve. Take your time and expect some issues as you improve your skills. This forum offers a lot of information and I spent days reading and watching videos. Both PhillipLunsford and SethCNC have videos that helped me a lot. Take a deep breath, watch some tutorials and it will get better. I jumped right in then took a step back and watched, read and learned and now feel very comfortable but still run into issues I wasn’t expecting. Good luck and welcome to our community.

1 Like

You are Homing the machine and then setting the Work Home at the proper place on the stock correct? If you are designing in Easel, typically people will design in what would be Quadrant I (in math terms), so the Work Home position (the one where you use the Z-Probe) needs to be at the forward-most left corner of your stock unless you account for it not being that way.

You will get there as long as you do not give up. We were all just starting out at some point…:slight_smile:

Brandon Parker

2 Likes

Take your time and be patient We were all new at one point and we all had problems. You can get some very good help here on the forums from a lot of knowledgeable people. If you never worked with a cnc before it will take time but little by little it will come to you.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.