Where is the laser engraving category?

Wagner Laser engraved on a mirror.

4 Likes

how did you change the z movements to laser on/off in chilipeppr?

@picengravertoo Just purchased your software, have the firmware settings changed correctly. Iā€™m trying to do a raster engraving of a photo I resized and dithered in PEP5. Which is the best setting to do so? I have had errors using analog and ttl. I have had some success with grbl but that is strictly black and white photos, no grey scale. Do you have a tutorial for dummies? I am using PEP5 and UGS to send the code since my comp is an old metal fab terminal and runs XP.

You should use the Analog/PWM profile (it has more features), but you have to change the 3rd axis letter to a S. Unless your laser engraving a Black & White image/logo, you donā€™t need to dither the image.

After you load an image, a Tutorial PDF button will appear. Did you find it?

What version of grbl are you using?

1 Like

Currently using v1.1 after upgrading from 1.0c. I have used the Tutorial pdf but was looking for something more in-depth when using Analog/PWM or GRBL PWN. Like I ā€œIf you want this, use this settingā€¦this needs to be set to S255 not Fā€ Etc.

I did not change the 3rd axis letter the first time. I will try that. I need $32 to be 1 not 0 correct? Iā€™ve tried bothā€¦

$30=255, $31=0 & $32=1. Our instructables may explain things in more detail.

Or this thread.

http://forum.darklylabs.com/index.php?p=/discussion/71/faster-photo-engraving

Or the thread we are posting in now.

Depending on your laserā€™s wattage and the material your engraving on, you need to experiment with the feedrate so it does not burn too dark or too light.

1 Like

Iā€™m failing to get any kind of pwm signal out of my stock grbl 1.0 x-controller ā€¦adjusted the settings in easel for automatic 12000rpm ā€¦(is there somewhere else to turn pwm on?) tried sending the M03 & M05 commands in easel, picsender, and UGS (including M03 S12000, M03 255 & any other variant i have seen posted) my driver is set to TTL, as well as testing the x-controller with a multimeter ā€¦had the same prob with my uno pin 11 setup ā€¦think thatā€™s why my laserā€™s been on the shelf for a year

@ZacharyRowan

What is the test you are doing to determine whether or not you have a PWM signal?

2 Likes

Did it show any PWM voltage when you executed the M03 S12000? If so, there must be a problem with the driver input connection, or it could be the driver or laser has failed.

I suggest you contact J-Tech as they can help you diagnose what the problem could be.

2 Likes

i canā€™t read any voltage change in a using a multimeter on the spindle pwm & gnd on the x-controller when i send M03, M03 S12000, or M05 commands. the laser works when i switch it to cw. ā€¦any other ideas on how to test if u r getting a pwm signal from the x-controller.

The Software section on this web page explains what your experiencing.

https://jtechphotonics.com/?page_id=4432

It states that the PWM is disabled with the grbl 1.0c firmware that comes with the X-Controller. It explains how to enable it.

2 Likes

ya ā€¦been looking at that page ā€¦iā€™ve done everything on that page except loading grbl 9.0 ā€¦if thatā€™s still necessary iā€™d rather rebuild my arduino power control and load their grbl on that, and just power up the control that i need ā€¦but with either grbl i should get some kind of voltage reading if easel is set for automatic 12000 ā€œso you will need to enable it in your settings to use power control.ā€ is all they say ā€¦they mean easel right?

Grbl 1.0c added two parameters so that the user could select the rpm range to match the device hooked up to grbl. They are $30 and $31 (max and min).

As installed by Inventables $30=1. and $31=0. You only have two choices S0 = off, S1 = on.

To get variable PWM you need to change the rpm range. For laser work I typically recommend $30=255. and $31=0.

With it set that way S0 = off, S128 = half power, S255 = full power.

I have a version of grbl that will allow you to switch back and forth between spindle and laser based on the 1.0c version.

2 Likes

loaded larryā€™s grbl 11/12/16 ā€¦ read larryā€™s laser grble picsender settings ā€¦set $30=255, $31=0, $32=1 ā€¦still not getting any pwm signal out of the x-controller, sending the commands with picsenderā€¦ iā€™ll hit inventables up about it as well

If you have Homing enabled and you donā€™t Home your machine first, or select $X, the PWM will be disabled in grbl. If you use the $X, make sure you change the Mode back to G91 if your jogging S values in Laser Mode.

It also requires a M03 to enable PWM if you use the Do Cmd, to execute a S command. The S value jogging will execute the M03 Sxx, so a Do Cmd. M03 is not needed.

2 Likes

If you are measuring the voltage on the PWM output you will not get a valid reading on a voltmeter because the voltage would be changing rapidly in time.

However, you can measure the 0-10volt output which should give you an accurate reading. This is a valid test as the 0-10volt signal is directly derived from the PWM signal.

Also, try doing the test with nothing connected to the PWM or 0-10volt outputs other than the voltmeter to see if your device is interfering with the signal.

Check the internal cabling in the X-controller. The cables will lock into the retainers without being fully seated on the headers. This has caused many problems with the X-controller and is an easy fix if that is the problem.

3 Likes

Larry!!! u r da man!! ā€¦that damn ribbon cable ā€¦o & thanks to picengravertoo as well ā€¦and as far as software i do lithophanes with PEP5 & Picsender which i plan on using for laser engraving as well.

3 Likes

Whatā€™s the detail that this laser and program can do? Iā€™m used to using an Epilog Helix with CorelDraw, but due to time restrictions Iā€™d like to add engraving into my own shop.

This is what Iā€™m used to doing and Iā€™d like to keep this quality of engraving.

1 Like

I saw your camping board that you posted in that image gallery. How crisp were the lines around the edges of the lettering?