Where to buy MDF

Where is a good place to buy MDF? Particularly I am looking for some of the thinner boards, like 1/4" or 1/8".

Home Depot or Lowes.

1 Like

Picked up 1/4", 1/2" and 3/4" - 2’ X 4’ sheets at Lowes / Home Depot. Could have picked up 4x8 sheets but didn’t have the pickup with me. Yeah, could have had it cut there for free but have you ever tried to get someone to help you on a Saturday?

Talk to the store manger.
Also never trust the cuts to be accurate. Always over estimate the cut and trim to final length at home.

In my area only Home Depot caries 1/4" MDF and then only in the precut 2’x4’ sheets.
(My local Lowe’s only have plywood)

I went to my neighborhood lumber yard. Super helpful, had it in every thickness up to 1", happily make rough cuts if you want, and they even carried all the sheets to my van. In a pinch I’d get it at home depot or lower, just so hard to find someone to help you (they are always from another department)

Home Depot is the best I’ve found so far.

You guys really should look for a hardwood lumber supplier that supplies cabinet shops, you will be amazed at how much less a sheet of MDF cost VS. big box and get a better selection of products.

MDF comes in different densities, whenever possible you want to get “Door Grade” MDF like a shop would use to make cabinet doors.
It is made to be shaped and cuts cleaner and easier than regular old MDF and it is slightly lighter.
This stuff stays flat better than other MDFs but may only come in 1/2" and 3/4"

In Atlanta: Suwanee Lumber Company
also where you can get Baltic Birch plywood from 1/8" up.