Which Bit to use

I am new to CNC woodworking, and I have the X-Carve 1000mm, I am trying to figure out which bits to use first, use for detail, and for finishing to make a nice clean project. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

That depends entirely on the project and how detailed it will be. The efficient approach is to use the biggest bit you can that will get the result you want (bigger bit = faster clearing). So, why not create a project in Easel, select a bit from the default ones listed, and generate a detailed preview/run a simulation. If your project doesn’t look like it’s going to carve with the bit(s) you selected, try a smaller bit for the detail pass.

Just play around in Easel for a while, and familiarize yourself with making a design and setting it up to carve.

1 Like

In order to provide more precise and specific advice we need more info :slight_smile:

I would suggest you give us a screen shot or image example of what you want to carve, or similar - and we can answer based on that :slight_smile:

Plywood, oak, end grain, poplar, balsa, MDF etc all consist of wood etc, but behave very differently :slight_smile:

As other have said, not knowing your proposed projects, it is hard to make good recommendations but generally for a starter kit, I would recommend two 1/4in 2 or 3 flute flat carbide endmill, two 1/8in (1/8 shank) 2 flute flat carbide endmill, one 60deg 1/2 in carbide Vbit with a 1/4in shank plus one 1/4 precision collet and one 1/8in precision collet, for best result do not iuse a collet reducer as it will also reduce the quality of your result. That should take care of most of your basic projects. BTW, I wrote two because, you may mess up one and it is a pain waiting for another one to arrive in order to finish a project so keeping a spare is usually good practice.