Inventables Community Forum

Why am i getting these groves?

Started out with 1/16 fishtail upcut on roughing. 10 degree vbit on detail. Depth is set at .085 on 1/4 inch pvc board. Got these groves…sigh. switched out and ran a rough pass using 1/8 inch 2 flute straight bit at .090 depth to try and smooth it out. Didn’t touch it… sigh. So why am I getting these deep lines and how do I fix it? Thanks

So when you did a 1/8" rough cut, do you mean it did not pocket out the inside of the vertical part of the B? part of the problem is a V-bit has a tiny (if any) flat part of the point so it does a less than awesome job on large flat areas. Also I assume you have checked for left-right/front-back tram? If that isn’t right on it has no chance with a v-bit, and would produce an effect like you see in your photo with a regular flat bit. Try a downcut also or straight 1/8".

The design looks nice BTW. You gonna fill that in any way?

Thanks, yeah its been a minute since I did a good tune up. After I run this 1/8 straight bit I’m gonna have to clean and tune things up. I used the smaller vbit because of the vines. I ran same monogram using the same setup and it came out perfect. (Will attach pic). On the M I’m going to go over it one more time tapping some 60 grit sandpaper in my palm sander to give more texture. I am debating on filling with epoxy. Hubby says no, I say yes…

2 Likes

Did you sponge paint that? I love the texture of this sign (looks like stone - gives it some gravitas!)

No, I painted a solid machine grey, let it dry and then tapped my palm sander over it with 60 grit until I got that look. Really easy to do

2 Likes

You could open a custom gravestone business like that for Halloween!

I used the smaller vbit because of the vines. I ran same monogram using the same setup and it came out perfect. (Will attach pic). On the M I’m going to go over it one more time tapping some 60 grit sandpaper in my palm sander to give more texture.