Why am i getting these groves?

Started out with 1/16 fishtail upcut on roughing. 10 degree vbit on detail. Depth is set at .085 on 1/4 inch pvc board. Got these groves…sigh. switched out and ran a rough pass using 1/8 inch 2 flute straight bit at .090 depth to try and smooth it out. Didn’t touch it… sigh. So why am I getting these deep lines and how do I fix it? Thanks

So when you did a 1/8" rough cut, do you mean it did not pocket out the inside of the vertical part of the B? part of the problem is a V-bit has a tiny (if any) flat part of the point so it does a less than awesome job on large flat areas. Also I assume you have checked for left-right/front-back tram? If that isn’t right on it has no chance with a v-bit, and would produce an effect like you see in your photo with a regular flat bit. Try a downcut also or straight 1/8".

The design looks nice BTW. You gonna fill that in any way?

Thanks, yeah its been a minute since I did a good tune up. After I run this 1/8 straight bit I’m gonna have to clean and tune things up. I used the smaller vbit because of the vines. I ran same monogram using the same setup and it came out perfect. (Will attach pic). On the M I’m going to go over it one more time tapping some 60 grit sandpaper in my palm sander to give more texture. I am debating on filling with epoxy. Hubby says no, I say yes…

2 Likes

Did you sponge paint that? I love the texture of this sign (looks like stone - gives it some gravitas!)

No, I painted a solid machine grey, let it dry and then tapped my palm sander over it with 60 grit until I got that look. Really easy to do

2 Likes

You could open a custom gravestone business like that for Halloween!

I used the smaller vbit because of the vines. I ran same monogram using the same setup and it came out perfect. (Will attach pic). On the M I’m going to go over it one more time tapping some 60 grit sandpaper in my palm sander to give more texture.

Sacred groves are patches of primeval forest that some rural communities protect as adobes of delities. Such Echosystem people draw their livelihoods from nearby resources and value nature for the ecological services it provides.