Why no pine?

Very good feedback. Thanks everyone.

I have used that shelf board and it works fine, but affordable too.

1 Like

That would look awesome in some multi-colored micarta.

Pine is good just watch what you get cause some boards can have a high sap content

2 Likes

I test in pine too :slight_smile: that turned out real nice!

You gotta understand, Pine (specifically Southern pine) is cheap, abundant in N America, but it is pretty unstable, non-uniform and soft for finish work. (and a biggie- Warpage due to humidity change) I think the reason pine isnā€™t sold on Inventables, because keeping the stock is a bit futile- Home centers have it readily available, crazy merchandise loss due to warpage, and itā€™s the wood at the bottom of the wood food-chain.
Itā€™s great to cut, but very unstable unless laminated or cross-jointed.
Try to look for a 10ā€™ piece of pine thatā€™s straight. If it is, it might be crooked tomorrow.
Price per square foot- MDF and Plywood are way better to practice on, and usually VERY flat and stable. (Unless you are going for that rustic Pine look of course)

1 Like

From that statement - the only materials listed in easel are ones that inventables sales? If so, kinda makes sense I guess as to why pine is not actually listed.

as far as Easel settings, I use them as ballparksā€¦ to get me close to the right speeds/feeds. They are by no means an absolute. Pine is forgiving enough, but there are soft spots, hard spots, spots that tear out easy, parts that are ganky with sapā€¦ With MDF or Birch Ply, Inventables can dial in more accurate speeds/feeds in Easel since they are more consistent materials.

1 Like

We carve a lot of pine and I have never had any pitch at all. It cuts very fast and smooth. The wood is dried so the pitch isnā€™t gummy typically. You do have to be aware of knots and plan ahead. My cut settings with a 3/16 or 1/4 inch bit with 1/4 " shank is typically 40 "/min and .05 depth. I usually figure out exactly how many passes it will take and make it equal but less than .05. I have the dewalt 611. I have tried faster and deeper with no issues but listening to the sound of the cut I used some judgment and dialed it back a little. If Iā€™m using a 1/16 bit on a 1/4 shank I will keep the speed about the same but I reduce the cut per pass to .03-.04.

3 Likes

I just thought about something. I ā€œdonā€™tā€ normally test with pine :slight_smile:

I have used pine occasionally, but most of my carving tests is done on poplar

If memory serves, the prices for the 2 are about the same. Why the preference for poplar? Just better material?

Ya, generally less knots :evergreen_tree:

I wish, I knew a true lumber yard in my area (south central PA). When I was young, I remember visiting one in Illinois and the smell was fantastic. Iā€™m pretty much stuck with Lowes and Home Depot. (Iā€™m probably paying more for poplar than I should be :grinning:)

1 Like

Itā€™s about $3.60 per board foot for poplar and about $2.20 for pine.

EDIT: I am curious, for those who have lumber yards or ā€œconnectionsā€, am I paying too much at the bigbox stores?

Wow oak is 7.89, poplaris6.99 and pine is 5.99 per linear foot

Where at? Iā€™m about halfway between Lancaster and Philly.

1x12

Actually not a true board foot. Itā€™s actually 3/4" x 11 1/4".

i make and sell a lot of furniture made from pine and I pay 1.60 a board foot for 1x12. but I also buy about 500 boards a year. popular is around 3.40 a board foot.

Is that common or no 2 grade or is that a premium grade?

At these insane prices I can only afford pine. I will be searching out of town now for other sources of lumber