X-Axis cut not staying square to Y Axis

I understand the frustration. Have you used a machinists square and checked whether the cut ends of the maker rails are ALL cut square?

The other possibility, which was my problem, was that one side of the machine had a rail (and/or slide) that was very slightly shorter than the other one. The solution for both problems is to re-cut all the aluminum pieces on a chop saw very slightly shorter than stock and exactly the same length on both sides.

It should be possible (when everything is square) to loosen everything, unbolt the XC from the wasteboard completely, slowly tighten everything up and have it all draw itself together square by itself. Take it all apart and check. If you have one of these issues, it seems like it should be a warranty issue. I just didn’t want the hassle.

Hope you can identify the problem. The why is frustrating as hell until you find it.

Have you figured anything out? I have recently acquired an XC from a friend who upgraded to a Legacy Maverick. I haven’t bought it yet, but using it to try it out. I noticed the exact same problem. I basically disassembled the subframe and re-squared it, and also used story sticks to ensure the y axis end plates were square, with the y axis rails being parallel. Still the right side of the x is back further at the front, like your video. Any resolution you had would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Mine was not quite square either I solved the problem by adding a shim between the plate and the maker slide. In my case, just two layers of note-paper on the back side did the trick and shifted everything square. Looks a little funky but works fine.

But still even when square there seems to be some flex across the width and it was easy to bump it out of square when not powered. I (and several others) added a stop on the right side just like the one on the left and set it to where everything was square. Each time before I power on the system, I manually pull the gantry against both stops and then hit the switch. This guarantees everything is square.

1 Like

Came across this post while getting ready to create my own.

I am having the exact same problem. I will set the x axis evenly using 2 stops I cut. I place it up against them, hold it, turn the machine on, and wait for the motors to engage. Once they engage, I let go, move them back 10 mm, and then measure it to ensure they are even. Once they are, I start using the machine.

After about 40 minutes of cutting, I go back and check them again. Now, they are almost half a mm apart from each other.

Now, I would say half a mm isn’t much, except that it doesn’t reflect that way on the work piece. I am getting a travel of up to 2mm off on the actual board it is cutting. I am not sure why so much travel is occurring on the wood when the crossbar is only .5mm off.

So I guess my question is this. After reading this thread, I am seeing this as being a slightly common issue. So if thats the case, and it is a mfg defect, why is inventables not reaching out to the customers and letting them know to check this, and if its actually an issue, why are they not making it right?

I’m sorry, but for the nearly 2k I have wrapped up in this machine, I really did not expect to have to do so much to make it work right.

1 Like