X-Carriage Smooth Idler Bolts Stand Proud...design flaw?

When going through Step 02.4 (X-Axis motor install) I noticed that it wouldn’t sit flush with the side of the carriage:

After taking the motor off, I was reminded that the smooth idlers bolts sit proud of the carriage (even though their holes are countersinked):

I wasn’t sure how much off it was, so I setup a baseline by zeroing-out the Wixey:

Then compared to the motor…a full 1 degree off plane:

My fix for this was to cut a couple of thin strips of sheetmetal, double-them over, and wedge them under the appropriate corners of the motor. This leveled me out but I’m not crazy about it:

So…

Should these smooth idler bolts be standing proud like this?
The only good fix I could think of last night is to further ream the countersink for the bolts, but I don’t think I have a drill bit that will handle that (my countersink bits are all for wood).

I seems like a drill bit the same size as the diameter of the counter sink would remedy that. I have also used my wood counter sinks on metal many times - a quick squirt of wd-40 before drilling should do the trick and apply very light pressure. You don’t have far to go.

If not, simply putting four washers on the motor bolts might be a more elegant solution. Mounting steppers on stand-offs and spacers has never impacted the performance of any of my machines so washers wouldn’t be a big deal.

1 Like

Thanks Earwigger. I will probably do this…

Metric counter sunk bolts have a counter sink angle of 90 degrees and you can buy counter sinks with 90 degree angle.
Look at bottom of page here.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=55&PARTPG=INLMK32

On the other hand… my answer would be to take the dullest pair of scissors I own and bore out that hole. :slight_smile:

One trouble with using a drill as a counter sink is drill points are 118 degrees.

Washers will work in a pinch though.

sorry to necro this post… youre not the only one. i countersunk the left hole and snapped a photo so folks could see

If you use spacers, and have a pressed(?) on pulley, double check the pulley alignment closely or premature belt wear may be a problem.

Looks like the countersunk hole was not to spec. If this happens you have 2 options:

1. Return it to Inventables for a replacement part in spec

2. Use a countering tool to fix the hole so the screws sit flush.

Hey Zach, it’s really cool to see how involved you still are in your product. Having a similar need for balance between ops and strategy in my own professional responsibilities, I really respect how hard it is to keep that up. I hope that you’re just sniping here, rather than this post being one of the many that you continue to monitor.

I would like to add that - while I have been unfortunately diverted recently to other nerdy endeavors - the X-Carve is truly a revolutionary development. It has opened my world to really cool stuff that I could never accomplish with traditional woodworking techniques. Well done, my friend…American ingenuity at its best.

2 Likes

Thanks @Joec

The Customer Success team at Inventables does an incredible job helping customers become successful. They do far more than I could do.

I do spend most of my time on strategy but I believe understanding our customers is a critical input into that process. I learn best through experience and I have found there is no replacement for visiting, talking to, and interacting with customers. You can look at data and reports but they only tell a part of the story.

5 Likes

I choose #2 countersink myself and finish this building weekend. Inguinuity trumps replacements.

this hole has been out of spec for a year now based on time when the original poster opened the thread.

We have done some statistical testing on each batch. We are going to do some inspections tomorrow.

1 Like

pull spacing looks good now… thx for suggesting I check.

glad to hear that. I am glad to hear some inspections are done and there will be follow through. Fully satisfied :slight_smile:

Shimmed my recent build with washers to level it, wasn’t sure what to do based on the instructions

Is this the same issue? here is a clip of the 750mm x-carve instructions. I just assumed that the larger hole for the stepper motor is countersunk shallow to create a space for the idler screws. Sorry if I’m misunderstanding.

1 Like

I chucked the screws in a drill and took them to the grinder and removed the head down to the taper. They still were a little proud and I was afraid of loosing too much of the hex wrench hole so I countersunk just a tad to make everything flush.

I have a “new” X-Carve that I received late Dec 2016 and I have the exact same problem. I saw the reference in the instructions to this issue so I assumed it was a known issue. I am noticing uneven belt wear because it was almost impossible to get the motor completely parallel to the mounting plate. I’ll have to get a metric counter sink and get those idler screws below flush. Is seems like this is a known issue, both X-Carves I have seen other than mine also have this problem and its mentioned in the assembly instructions.