X-Carve at Rockler

They had a scrap bin out front of the Schaumburg store with some amazing deals. I was very tempted.

2 Likes

I sold my pirhana to get the xcarveā€¦

1 Like

What did Rockler have for CNC priced close to the X Carve?
The tiny little Piranha starts at $1599.99
The CarveWright starts at $1829.99
Anything with work size near 750mm would be the Shark HD4 at $4k

I went into rockler (Orland Park, IL.) set on purchasing the carvewright, which is about the same price as an xcarve, but after a long and professional talk with the employeeā€™s I had changed my mind.
I like the carvewright because it was table fed and could do long lengths of projects, but was restricted on width of projects, they also pointed out that if my board edges were not straight it would effect table feed because everything would shift due to any concaveā€™s on the edge.
So they said let us sign you up for the free program that Inventableā€™s lets people play with, check it out.
So I went home, played with the program, checked out the forums and after a couple days I ordered my X-Carve :wink:

5 Likes

The length capability of the CarveWright is enticing but I suspect it also has a minimum length requirement of about 8 inches as well.
Bit changes look like they could be difficult too.

@CRWW what kinds of projects are you hoping to make with the machine?

Our hardware stores here in Australia are rubbish. If you like working with MDF or warped pine, then youā€™re laughing. Trying to find a reasonably priced exotic wood species here is like finding unicorn poop.

experimenting now as iā€™m not to literate with cnc and such, Iā€™m a woodworker by hand but I also am a stage tech for a rock band and am trying to come up with 12ā€™ā€™ album covers covers with a 2ā€™ā€™ outer ring where they can autograph them.
Also iā€™m a veteran so iā€™m looking to do some military plaques and clocks. Capture

1 Like

The album cover idea is awesome. That would be really cool.

I have been a Rockler customer for a long time, saw this in the Orland store yesterday and ordered one last night. I am a retired carpenter and now I do quite a bit of woodworking projects out of my garage. Looking to be able to use this for 3D carving for custom furniture. Iā€™m not very computer savvy but looked pretty user friendly when they showed me how it worked at Rockler. Canā€™t wait to get it.

1 Like

Good one Angus LOL!!!

1 Like

One of my sons plays guitar and he still has first epiphone. I saw the video of the guy who used the guts from an epiphone and made a new one using the x carve. So in answer to your question I would be interested in building one.

1 Like

I was at the Schaumburg location and was so happy to see it there! The staff over there know me very well and it was cool to show them the actual machine Iā€™m always talking about.

Their customer service is very similar to inventables. Always helpful and not just out for the money.
Glad you guys made the decision to work with them

1 Like

Thatā€™s awesome to hear.

Love this display Idea for the X-carve looks very professional great work!!!

Donā€™t forget to sign autographs and a post a picture of you in the store next to the X-Carve.

I purchased the x-carve in February 2018. Saw this topic and looked up where the Milwaukee store was. I never knew I live 15 minutes from the Milwaukee store. Since I was in the process of assembly, I stopped in so I can visualize couple of the instructions about the Drag Chain that seemed unclear to me. They had the Inventables display with 1000x1000m x-carve right as you walk in. I was greatly impressed on the helpfulness of the store staff about multiple woodworking/cnc questions I had. It was great to see a small selection of CNC router bits that were compatible with the X-Carveā€™s Dewalt 611.
It would be great to see a larger selection of different CNC bits and compatible upgrades/addonā€™s for the X-Carve. Would be a great undertaking for inventory management since items are back-ordered already. I hope Inventables is able to get some classes/demos setup with Rocklerā€™s assistance.

1 Like

@Justin thanks. Yes that is what we are working on with them. What kind of classes would you like to see in the store?

I figured they would have a picture of Phil sitting beside the machine.

1 Like

Did you ask questions about it?