X carve for beginners

So I just purchased the x carve second hand from someone in my area and I have no idea how to use it I’ve watched mounds of videos but nothing covers the basics, I was mostly be carving signs and I just need to know how to get started, like where to put the wood on the waste board how I get it to engrave in the middle of the board , just complete basics for a beginner most the videos on basics I watch don’t cover the bare minimum that I need to know, not even sure how to connect it to my computer could someone give me advice paste a link, or could I find this information on the inventables site, thanks in advance.

Couple questions so we can help you out.

1. Which Xcarve did you buy. Does have an Xcontroller or an Ardiuno
  2. Are you using Easel, Vetric, Fusion360 and if you are not using Easel what gcode sender are you using, UGS, Mach3?

Hay thanks for the reply, I have the 1000mm x carve I am using easel, not sure if it is Ardiuno or x controller, sorry I sound stupid and I probably should know this but I am completely new to this, how do o tell what it is

Hay thanks for the reply, I have the 1000mm x carve I am using easel, not sure if it is Ardiuno or x controller, sorry I sound stupid and I probably should know this but I am completely new to this, how do o tell what it is

@MatthewRoberts. Great questions to answer to help you get started. Next, I have a lot of videos using easel that is designed for beginners and intermediate users. If you have specific questions I and others here on the forum will help you get going. Here is the link to the videos.

So I don’t have a problem with easel been playing around with it for some time now, my main concern is in actually using the machine like where do I line my spindle up so it engraves in the middle of my board, I would like to see a video with someone placing there wood on the waste board showing were they start from just the basics of operating the machine

Are you close to Chicago, I can stop over…

I live in toronto, that would have been awsome though! Appreciate the offer. @DarrylKegg

Well, is your laptop setup with a camera? Maybe a Facebook live stream?

Yea that would be perfect, would this upcoming weekend be good for you?

You have the original control electronics which is using the Arduino and gShield to control the machine.

2 Likes

@MatthewRoberts
My advice: play around with the controls with the router unplugged, jog the machine around, even try an air carve (when your machine runs a carve well above a workpiece).
Easel was you through the setup and the people here will answer pretty much any question you have.
Don’t connect or disconnect a motor from the controller while power is on. Be aware of you’re using inches or mm. Not too much can go wrong when the router is not on. When you start to feel more comfortable, put some safety glasses on and make something (we’ve all made our share of firewood).

Sure, Saturday afternoon works. PM me your email address and we can setup a time

Thanks @NeilFerreri1 will definetly give it a go, that’s what I like about this forum everyone is very friendly and helpful, good to see.

You haven’t been here long.
:grimacing:

1 Like

@MatthewRoberts
Ok here is one

Thanks @PhillipLunsford great video, helps alot!

@PhillipLunsford i watched this video twice and dont see how you moved the workpiece x y so that it doesnt try to cut off the table. I think i understand what you were saying but i didnt see where you changed xy in easel? Thank you

image It will show as the material is 3/4 off the cutting area but if you zero from the center of your material it will cut fine.