X-Carve path goes off!

Hi, I’m new to the X-Carve machine.
Now, I’m working on cutting a square.
I have succesfully cut one square frame without problems,
but now X-Carve machine always goes off the path at certain point.

As you see the photo above, the most above line there, that’s the starting line.
From there, the bit goes right to left, left to bottom, bottom to right bottom, and path goes off when bit goes right bottom to right top. when it’s about to complete square, it doesn’t go all the way up to make a complete square. I don’t know what the problem is.
I don’t think this is the problem of Easel settings because, I have successfully cut out one square
without problems like an hour ago. But I’m not sure why now this machine gives me path off with settings are same like before.
Please give me a hand and lemme know how to fix this.
Thanks in advance, cheers!

Changes

I’m cutting 12mm thick MDF, and my cutting settings were Feed Rate: 1100mm/Min, Plunge Rate: 228.6mm/Min, and Depth per Pass:3mm.

Now I changed this setting less aggressive, Feed Rate: 1000mm/Min, Plunge Rate: 228.6mm/Min, and Depth per Pass: 1.6mm.
It looked better than before, still had some issues. But it was bearable path off.
But all of sudden, bit went to unexpected route that I didn’t even intend to cut.
Here is the my drawing and results.
16 PM

There’s the line above the most bottom line that I didn’t intend to cut.
The machine made a weird rough sound and went like that.
I urgently turned off the machine.
Should I lower the settings more? Or these are the other problems?
Thanks.

Loosing steps. Check pulleys belts wheels. And motor currant.

It is missing steps (signalled steps from the controller that the motor for some reasen were unable to do)

This can be due to something mechanical slipping (pulleys on shafts) or underpowered motors or too aggressive cut rate. What happens if you do a much less aggressive cut? (Slower cut rate, less depth per cut)

What do you mean loosing steps?
You mean loose the step motors?
Should I tighten the pulleys, betls, and wheels?
When I check the motor current, what volt should be the proper?
Thanks for the reply!

What is the missing steps?

I’m now cutting 12mm thick MDF.

My very first cutting settings were Feed Rate: 1100mm/Min, Plunge Rate: 228.6mm/Min, and Depth per Pass:3mm.
And Now I lower the settings to Feed Rate: 1000mm/Min, Plunge Rate: 228.6mm/Min, and Depth per Pass: 1.6mm
So, now this gives me a more proper square that I wanted, but still has some path issues.
Now, I’m starting to think path problem occured because of aggressive Feed Rate and Depth. But this still leaves me wondering because I was able to cut one square very successfuly with cutting settings of Feed Rate: 1100mm/Min, Plunge Rate: 228.6mm/Min, and Depth per Pass:3mm.
Any idea about this?
Thanks!

Thanks so much!

Thanks, I changed the bit and it worked great. But it went out the path again. I should search things up! thanks!

Im also having a similar issue with my new x-carve. Im trying to cut pieces out for a drawer using the box maker app from design.

Its odd that the first 2 carves goes great, right on the expected path but then when the Z drops the 3rd time to cuz deeper it thows the X-Axis carving off.

I’ve checked tension on belts,
No odd sounds are made.
Machine seems pretty square and parrallel.
Im wondering if its a power issue but I dont know how to check that.

What are you cut settings?
Check eccentric nut adjustments too!

Thanks for the quick response @SethCNC!

Cut Settings:
1/8" single flute end mill
Feed Rate: 72in/min
Plunge Rate: 24in/min
Depth per Pass: .1in
Fill Method: Offset
Plunge: 20°

• I did go back through and tightened the belts as they were a little looser than recommended in the maintenance section of the build.
  • Also noticed the V-wheels on the eccentric nuts were spun freely so those have been adjusted so the wheels still spin but not easily.
  • Upon other research I’ve seen where others have used a block of sorts to pull both Y’s to the front to make sure they are the same. So I put one of the spare bolts and spacers on the Y2 axes to help make sure they stay aligned with each other. (when machine is off and in home position, i move both Y1 and Y2 to the front which are both 1/2 Inch from the front.)
  • Since doing those few things I ran a small 4"x 4"x 1/16" surface job that seemed pretty spot on.
  • I’ll try something bigger in the next couple of days and report back!
  • On the cut above I shared a picture of it appeared that the cut only went off path after it dug into the material - maybe the 20° is too aggressive?

Update 1
Ran another small job that seemed to go without issue, it was with a 1/16 in bit and automatic settings: Results were pretty good.

Next I’ll try something a little bigger, or the box design I tried before.

1 Like

Just to follow up, I was able to get a bigger cutout. I ended up redesigning it anyway. Regardless, it came out just as expected, and the router stayed on path so hopefully others will find this useful. Thanks @SethCNC!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.