X-Carve Pro Dust Collection

Well, I contacted Inventables support to see if removing the spindle cover voids the warranty and got back not so great news.

"I am afraid this would fall under actions that would void the X-Carve Pro warranty:

-Alteration to any hardware or firmware included with the X-Carve Pro.
-Overriding or attempting to override or attempting to remove any guards or other safety features."

They offered to help understand the limits of the Inventables dust boot which I provided feedback. I also suggested that not being able to remove the spindle cover could be a safety issue due to the large amounts of wood chips that get packed in there.

Just thought I’d share what I learned.

Update: Got a reply back on this topic:
“In speaking further with our product team, they don’t believe that removing the spindle cover should void the warranty…”.

Support then asked if I could speak to one of their product managers about the Inventables dust boot and the issues I’m seeing.

2 Likes

Very interested in hearing how this turned out, as I have removed and cleaned the inside of the spindle cover. I cut plastic, aluminum, and wood with our XCP, and all materials left noticeable layers inside of this housing.

I installed the P2P dust shoe on my XCP, and it works quite well. It’s connected to a 4" hose through a barrel into a 1.5hp dust collector.
I re-used the stock arm, just used zip ties to keep the hose up, and ensured there was enough slack to reach the far back corner. Ask me how I knew to check for that. :slight_smile:

The pictures were from the install, I also added some Y’s and closers to have a port on the opposite side of the machine.
Is it perfect? No, the dust boot does allow some shavings to exit, especially when I’m planing. However, it is far better than the stock that would pretty consistently clog the narrow slot on planing passes.
Also, Mike has been great to work with at P2P. Can’t go wrong.

2 Likes

Thank you @MattSlaga for this. I have been so frustrated by the constant clogging of the overly tiny dust boot slot in the stock design. Doing any sort of larger rabit or channel cuts will clog the stock design. I ordered your recommendation today. I’ll let you know how it goes!

1 Like

Here’s what I do.

//g

I ordered and installed the dust port adapter from https://www.pixelstoprototype.com/product-page/p2p-dust-boot. This has been a game changer. My 4" dust collection goes to a jet 2HP collector. I found having the collection hose to the right similar to the existing setup is awesome. Also the magnetic brush guard is fantastic. I was hesitant to order due to the cost but this is the single biggest improvement in dust collection on my xcarve pro. Inventables should be embarressed by the original design.

Adding my 2 cents… the small hose is not ideal and clogs easily. Reducing 4" or 6" to the standard size inhibits the natural flow of your dust collector - A 4" fitting is the way to go.

To quote @SethCNC from another post:

Pwncnc also has some interesting designs also in this realm. They also have a number of brackets for keeping the host out of the way when moving.

1 Like

Just to add in here. I think I’m going to try this method. The link provides fusion/vcarve files in order to edit to fit the XCP spindle size. I wish Inventables would have thought about the dust boot moving with the z axis. Constantly changing the height of the stock dust boot gets tedious when running jobs that flatten a surface.

https://www.avidcnc.com/universal-cnc-dust-shoe-p-396.html

-Jonathan