X-Carve Tool Organizer

Hey Guys! I just released a new video about designing and carving a took organizer for the x carve workstation or any other tools.

Check it out and let me know what you think!

9 Likes

Very nice video and useful application of the machine. :slight_smile:

Looks great, just subscribed to your channel, keep up the good work!

Looks great!

Cad tip - If you want to get perfect tool outlines, trace them with a sharpie on a piece of paper. Scan them into your computer application (Cad, illustrator, Coreldraw, etc) then outline them in the program (abracadabra perfect outlines for your tools)

2 Likes

@TravisLucia nice work man. The video is great and the tool holder looks really nice. I love the magnets. Would you be willing to post the project and share the Easel file so other people can make it too?

Here’s the project section. You can add the open in Easel button to the project so it opens read only and people can copy it into their accounts.

Another option would be to model the tools in a 3D program. I did that in OpenSCAD for my cigar box toolkit: Shapeoko CNC Router, Rigid, Accurate, Reliable, and Affordable

Version carved in basswood and flocked: Shapeoko CNC Router, Rigid, Accurate, Reliable, and Affordable

This looks incredible but also very time consuming. Really nice looking finished product though.

Very nice idea just subscribed to your chanel

1 Like

Thanks a lot and I appreciate the subscription!

Cleaver idea, like it. Did one for myself. Alter a little bit, like drilling magnet holes with X-Carve and cut the board in same time. Also took X-Carve sign from center use that area for loose bits, put sign rotated to end of board. But hey, idea is great. Thanks.

Thats awesome! If you get a chance can you post some pictures?

I just finished, I should’ve use better MDF.
I’m sure you have lot more ideas to share with us. Thanks again Travis.

Started on a list of tools w/ matching CAD files:

more would be welcome.

For large drawers that hold 20 or more tools. I have placed a dark mat in drawer, aligned the tools like I want them, then took a photo of drawer. You can easily import photo into AutoDesk Inventor (free to schools) or Solidworks 3D and use AutoSketch functions to create toolpaths. Set your offset to allow easy tool retrieval.
Stephen Hadwin

1 Like

The method I use to trace objects is to scan them on a flatbed scanner and then scale them 1:1 in illustrator. I then use the image trace feature to convert the scanned image into vectors and touch up any areas that need it.