Fellow X-carvers, I’d like to share a project I’ve been working on for the past few weeks. I’ve used my share of simple interfaces including a USB numeric keyboard, wireless keyboard and USB Super Nintendo controller. Although they were simple, I felt it was too simple for what I wanted to be able to do. So I have created a wireless bluetooth pendant to perform the following features.
- Jog all 3 axis at 4 level increments (1in, .1in, 1mm, .1mm)
- Run homing cycle and return to home at any point
- Zero the work coordinates and return to the zero position at any point.
- Send the machine to 2 pre-determined parked positions. #1 currently sends the machine to the middle back with Z up to clear the machine away from the workpiece (to unclamp and change out material for example)
- Laser on to low power mode for zero point locating and laser off.
- Start, Pause and Abort grbl pinout commands directly to Arduino.
- Probe cycles (to work with Charley’s Triquetra I plan to get) or can be normal probe cycle
The photo below is prototype #2 and so far has worked without any issues on both Easel and UGS. I plan to do a more detailed write up for more explanation but its far enough along that I would like any initial feedback from the group and any other actions you would find useful to be incorporated.
I will try and do a video later this week showing it in action.