X-Controller Spindle Relay - Always On

Hi,
I just finished assembling my X-Carve and wanted to add a power relay to turn on/off the spindle. I had some spare power control relays (Lowell RPC Units) we had used for sound systems amps and wired them into the X-Controller using the Spindle PWR and GND slots, and all I continue to get is constant power on when the X-Controller is on. I’ve tried other configurations (Spindle 0-10 + GND, swapping the wiring direction, etc.) to no avail. I even unplugged the wiring harness which turned off the relay and then the moment I plugged it back in the relay fires up. As soon as the X-Controller gets power the relay gets signal and fires up the spindle. And yes, I made sure to have the switch set to normal.

I was trying to avoid having to purchase the IoT relay everyone is having success with, but I’ve wired up two of these and keep getting the same result. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

First thing to prove is that you get a voltage output from the xcontroller with nothing connected to spindle and ground

Put a volt meter on the terminals and power up the xcontroller. There should be a zero reading.

What does that give you?

I think the RPC-1 just needs a dry contact between the two right terminals where the X-Controller’s spindle control is an voltage source (PWM). With a small load attached to the RPC-1 just jump across the two right contacts and see if the RPC-1 turns on the outlet. Should that work, you will need a small interposing relay to turn on which can close when provided voltage from the X-Controller. The relay’s contacts can provide the dry contact for the RPC-1.

{:0)

Brandon Parker

Right on the nose Brandon! I ended up buying a relay module (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VRUAHLE/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_i5jxDbBBGPSE2) and wired it up between the two. Now it works like a charm! Thank you both for the help.

No problem; I am glad you got it working.

{:0)

Brandon Parker