Xcarve carving flat and stretched designs

Hello everyone, I am new to x carve and cnc. I got this few days ago and i somehow managed to assemble it properly and I tried to design a smiley face on a wooden plank. It carved well but the finish product was somehow stretched and flat. It wasn’t perfect circle and I don’t know what is wrong. I tried other designs as well but everythg is little bit stretched and falt…I have attached a picture for the reference. please help…thanks

first of all which axis is wrong? How wide should the circle be and which axis is not measuring up to that? Maybe look that up first and check your grbl steps/mm settings

I think the x axis wrong over here…cuz the depth and the length is fine enoough…jst the width is too much!!

can you post your grbl settings?

$0=50.000 (x, step/mm)
$1=40.000 (y, step/mm)
$2=188.976 (z, step/mm)
$3=10 (step pulse, usec)
$4=250.000 (default feed, mm/min)
$5=500.000 (default seek, mm/min)
$6=96 (step port invert mask, int:01100000)
$7=255 (step idle delay, msec)
$8=10.000 (acceleration, mm/sec^2)
$9=0.050 (junction deviation, mm)
$10=0.100 (arc, mm/segment)
$11=25 (n-arc correction, int)
$12=3 (n-decimals, int)
$13=0 (report inches, bool)
$14=1 (auto start, bool)
$15=0 (invert step enable, bool)
$16=0 (hard limits, bool)
$17=0 (homing cycle, bool)
$18=0 (homing dir invert mask, int:00000000)
$19=25.000 (homing feed, mm/min)
$20=250.000 (homing seek, mm/min)
$21=100 (homing debounce, msec)
$22=1.000 (homing pull-off, mm)

$0 should probably be 40 too.

ok…is there anythg else needs to be modified…why is the craving coming stretched and flat!!

I’m not sure what you mean by “flat”, but look at the first few videos on how to calibrate your X-carve to perform better (belt tensioning, setting potentiometers, stepper calibration).

$0, $1 and $2 tell the machine how many steps the stepper motor needs to make in order to move a mm. This depends on what drives your machine. (belts, rack & pinion, leadscrew,…) For X and Y these should be the same because its the exact same driving mechanism. It should be around 40 for the shapeoko/xcarve.
The Z has a different value because it works on a leadscrew, which needs the stepper to rotate more to achieve the same distanceas X/Y.

i took a screenshot of your picture, imported in photoshop and cropped it to your cut.

Guess what, an exact 4/5 ratio, so that is is too much of a coincidence don’t you think? :slight_smile:

so what do you think is my mistake here…shoud i change any values here!!

have you changed $0 to 40?

If yes try cutting a circle or square

so did it work?

oh yes it did…thanks!!!

well yea but thats decimals, not 50-40 different. Theoretically it should be the same.