XCarve Upgrade Kit

I haven’t run my XCarve in over a year due to a life detour. I used to run it almost every day.

I saw the upgrade kit in the shop and think I’m going to order it.

How is everyone making out that upgraded?

1 Like

JDM, I picked up the upgrades for the the XY and Z directions in December and installed them over a couple of days. I had to let it sit idle for a few months, but have been using it the last few days with good success. There are a number of good videos and help files on the Forum related to the upgrade. I would look at those first.

1 Like

the upgrades are a great investment for the Xcarve. you can faster speeds and feeds. the “Z” is night and day from old to new.

just don’t forget about Makita upgrade it would be well worth it if get it.

2 Likes

Sounds good. My machine always ran great. Very accurate. The upgrade definitely sounds good.

2 Likes

well worth it. imho

1 Like

What is benefit of the Makita upgrade from the DeWalt?

1 Like

lower speeds, longer cutter life. possibly ask google what is better for you. Also the brushes last much longer

2 Likes

Lower speed can be used to generate larger chips, which is needed for cutting plastic and metal, can be useful in wood as well… the stronger belts and z axis really make the xcarve capable of taking advantage of this slower rpm option as well.

Cons of the makita vs dewalt :
Collet nut doesn’t encapsulate the Collet meaning the Collet often gets sick up in the router with the bit Even if you take the nut full off (this doesn’t happen with the dewalt)
Collet requires 2 wrenches (this can be a pro because if done right the 2 wrench use will equal forces and not move the gantry during bit changes)
NO led light

Pros of the makita:
the makita isn’t discontinued
2 wrench thing mentioned above
Easier brush Changing
Slower min rpm

2 Likes