Yet another question of the 300w quiet spindle

I’ve been reading/rereading every thread about the spindle/power-supply match-up and it’s just not clicking.

In one thread (24V…can we run it at 48V) Nico asked:

And Bart answered:

But if I go to the inventables page where I can buy it, I see this:
Price Part Number Power Voltage
$79.85 30416-01 300W 12-48VDC

And when I read the blog there is a picture of the spindle and although I can only read the right-half of the label, it quite clearly says 12-48VDC.

Question 1: Huh???

In the same thread, I believe, Zach posted an image of the test specs - lots of pretty colorful arcs and some numbers on the side. I found the .pdf of that one on the spindle page in the store. It looks like the data in that chart was produced by only running it at 24VDC. But below the pretty colorful arcs it says:
Spindle brush life-span(Max.): 1000 hours @ unload 48V

Question 2: Huh???

And just for grins, I googled around and found a similar spindle with similar wattage/voltage descriptions on Amazon. In the Q/A there someone mentions running it at 36V.

Also, the chart with the pretty colorful arcs says that max power comes at 24.52VDC/14.22A. But the two 24V power supplies listed in the store (I don’t know which one comes with the kit) are listed as 6.25 and 10A - indeed, their rated power out is only 150 or 240 Watts.

Question 3: Is this saying that the supplied power supplies aren’t strong enough to get full potential out of the 300W spindle?

And finally, question 4: Am I right then in thinking that a 300W 12-48VDC motor will run at different voltages, and the only difference being that the higher the voltage the less amps it will pull. So if the motor needs 14.22A to get max power at 24VDC, it only needs 7.11A at 48V to get the same power?

@JoeMeyer Both spindles are variable speed. You can run the rated voltage for full speed or reduce the voltage for a lower speed. You should not run them at voltages higher than the rated voltage.

The spindles will pull different amounts of current based on the load they are under. When the motor is under load it slows down. The worst case is if you completely stall the motor. We have tested both motors by running them under cutting loads greater than anyone would use. That current is well below the rating of the power supply. We rarely see these motors exceed about 100W when cutting.

The power supplies will self protect if they see current higher than their rating. It will not damage them.

Sounds like they sell two different types. The 24v spindle is only sold with the X-carve and the one sold at the store supports 48v.

and that 48v one will require a different power supply as well.

The power supply enclosure supports the 48v power supply including the speed control feature.

You would use it for the spindle only.

We will be selling those as soon as we get caught up with X-Carves.

1 Like

Just one, maybe two more questions please. I think I might finally understand it.
Could you just confirm for me please that the spindle you talk about on this page…

http://blog.inventables.com/2014/05/the-dc-spindles-have-arrived.html

… is the same spindle that I selected when I configured my X-Carve on this page:

https://www.inventables.com/technologies/x-carve/customize#basic-kit

2 Likes

I was wondering the same thing and have not been able to figure it out… Anyone know for sure? I live in an apartment and would much prefer a quieter spindle! I just don’t know if the one I ordered is the ‘quiet’ one or not :wink:

It isn’t. I have both spindles. The link is for the original announcement of the quiet cut spindle which runs off of 48 volts. The one included in the X-Carve is 24 volts and considerably shorter than the one pictured in the link. It also is a bit noisier than the 48 volt quiet cut spindle.