Z-Axis stuck/sticking?

Ah I get it. I have a belt sitting in my extra parts box. I upgraded to the linear Z a couple weeks ago. I have no idea what it would cost to mail it to Canada.

I was going to just buy the belt but then I saw that inventables wants 20$ to ship a tiny little beltā€¦ hoping they help me out since the machine is so new

I was told to adjust the vwheels so that they are easy to move with my finger. Is that the case? Is that the only way to tune them? Or is there a better method?

Ill play around with the vwheels see what I can do. thanks!

Let me know how it works out. If itā€™s not to much I donā€™t mind sending you the one I have. I would suggest getting some back ups though.

1 Like

What Robert said!
Inconsistant Z-position = something isnt transferred from the motor all the way to the z-plate.
If its a motor or mechanical stall there will be a grinding noise coming from the motor.
If no grinding noise is present yet Z-axis is inconsistant then something is slipping

One thing to check is the V-wheels.
See if they are installed correctly.
This caused me a lot of grief like what your video shows.
When you look at them they seem fine but if the washers are not in the correct location the bearing will bind when there is force applied to them. The nut is smaller in diameter so you do not need a washer there. Would not hurt to put one there as it will spread the force a tiny bit more evenly. Not necessary but would not hurt either.
See pic below

This is not the Z but see how they have a washer on the side that touches the plate?
That washer on the opposite side will cause issues.
Make sure that you placed them correctly.
The bearing surface can bind if it cannot spin easily.

That inner part will bind with the seals or the outer surface when tension is applied when the Z axis moves.
This was my issue and may not be yours but its worth checking if all else fails.
It would not hurt to put a washer on both sides instead of one as long as its the same size and does not extend to the outer ring.

Ok after watching the video. This may not be your issue. Looks like the Allan slugs have come loose and your belt pulley on the Acme rod is slipping. Use locktite on it

deja vu

Thanks for all the help guys! Iā€™m gonna head over to my local hardware store and pick up some locttite and m3 screws. Iā€™m sure that will give me some better grip! In the meantime while I wait for some info on a new belt Iā€™ll do some research on how to tune my machine even more!

Be careful on the length. I tried to replace mine with socket cap screws and they would just barely interfere with the motion on the bearing retainer screws. I bought 8mm length so a 6 or 7mm would probably be fine.

Good to know! I just realized that I got about 10 pulleys that all have the set screws, should I just replace the set screw or would going to ohme depot and buying those 6 or 7mm lenghts be an upgrade?

The socket cap screws, in my opinion, are an upgrade for a few reasons:

1. easier to install
  2. larger hex key to use to tighten
  3. visually can see if one is missing or loose

I replaced mine with screws that have nylon patches which does the same as loctite. But, my machine has set screws on all motor pulleys because itā€™s not the new Xcarve with the perm pulleys.

Awesome! Iā€™ll head over see If I can find some screws that will work!

Hmmm emailed customer support and just calledā€¦ No answerā€¦

Yea itā€™s US Thanksgiving. Might not get a response tomorrow either but who knows.

Ah sorry I am Canadian! Forgot about your guyā€™s weird tradition :stuck_out_tongue:

I guess I am SOFL then :frowning:

Donā€™t pigeon-hole all of us Canucksā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Get enough todo your X and y motors as well.

got plenty of open ended belt. I had messed up during installation and bought plenty extra