Zion National Park

This is really impressive! Where did you get the lidar data? How did you process it, scale the height, etc.?

What bits did you use for this? Thx!

@MichaelHursh Good to hear. I work in research and development so 90% of my x-carve work is out of precision board and is unsharable. I try to slip in a fun project like this now and then so I will definitely share the next one.

@Kvaltine I got it from an old ArcGIS project. I want to say it was originally from USGS but I canā€™t say for certain since it has been so long. When I originally saw it I knew it would make a neat landscape so I exported it for later.

@TheoRetos
1/4" Flat, 1/8" ball, and 1/16" ball.

Take a look at Terrain2STL

http://jthatch.com/Terrain2STL/

Aspire can import STL files. Interestingly, I did a test-carve of the same area but different scale a little bit ago.

Naturally, DomRiccobeneā€™s is WAY more polished!

3 Likes

Oh, thatā€™s a great tool! Iā€™ve been idly considering a geographical carving, but that makes it much easier, thanks for passing it on.

Really neat tool! Iā€™m going to save that one. Thanks for sharing the link.

1 Like

Would you be willing to share the files you use to carve this? I would love to learn how to do this and seeing how you managed it would be helpful in understanding and making my own. It looks amazing and is one of the most impressive pieces Iā€™ve seen made so far.

THAT is impressive! Zion National Park is one of the most amazing places Iā€™ve been. The fact that the piece is so small is even more impressive.

Also, I have a minor in GIS from college. I miss having access to all the ESRI software now that Iā€™m in a different line of work.

Thanks! I am glad you like it. It is one of my favorites.

Unfortunately, I canā€™t share that particular model. However, I grabbed this fun mountain from another dataset for you to play with. Anyone can feel free to use.

Test Terrain

1 Like