1/2" Shank based Routers on X-Carve

Has anyone been successful at mounting a router spindle onto their X-Carve which is manufactured to accept a 1/2" Shank?

If so, could you please share?

1 Like

What is the weight of the Hitachi? I was thinking of using a Dewalt DW618 I already have, it’s 2.6 pounds heavier than the DWP611.

7.3 Pounds. I believe thats with the base.

I never had a problem. The extra weight provided much more stability and reduced chatter considerably. I have since fully modified and rebuilt my machine and built a second. Switched both to Makita’s which works great but is much lighter.

1 Like

Do your Makita’s take a 1/2" shank?
If so, may I please ask the model?

The Makita is the bomb. Quiet, slow spindle speed and after running the crap out of them, never changed the brushes. Of course, I ran the Hitachi for several years and checked the brushes and they look like new. I think the Dewalt has a flaw.

Makita does not have a down light, but I installed them on my dust shoes anyway.

2 Likes

Yes. https://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-M12VC-Variable-Speed-Router/dp/B0002ZZWXI

I will sell you mine WITH a new set of brushes (if I can find them) for $100. Plus, I have a mount and Precise Bits collets of .125; .25 and .5. AND I will throw in a kick-â– â– â–  .5" end mill.

1 Like

I’d like to know more as well, if possible.

Because I needed two and they are $99. My metal milling machine is small so I went with Makita. So I upgraded both x, and z axes, milled identical Makita mounts - everything is swappable between the two, including collets. I think the Hitachi is superior by far. YEARS and the brushes show hardly any wear! But I love these little Makita’s.

2 Likes

Hell yeah…

“I’ll buy that for a dollar…” :smiley:

I noticed some black soot on my dewalt.
I have not checked the brushes yet. When I do I will know.
I have not put as much wear and tear as the rest of you guys but still. I hate using tools that wear out fast.

Paypal?

Plus shipping right? I would PM you a link to purchase. But first I would inventory what I have and take pictures for you.
Let me know if you want me to do that. I am guessing Shipping would be less than $20, but I have a post office right next door, so I can get the exact amount.

Please do

Try to get it done tonight when I get home. Last round of golf for the season today.

1 Like

Makita RT0700 user here, checked its brushes recently after atleast 100hrs of speed 1&2 combined, they appear barely worn (close to 3/4" long still). I have a couple of spare sets coming in soon and can compare new vs used.

Makita rpm at Speed1 = approx 10k (10-30k range)

If Jay changes his mind I would be interested.

I love the hustle, Ramon. :smile:

But, there are concrete walls which are less decisively placed than I, on this deal. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

The Makita 12mv goes down to 7k rpm and is whisper quiet (at THAT speed, I should add).