1000mm xcarve on the way, little advice needed

When you responde, don’t say: “Materials and supplies to construct a functioning uranium enrichment device, aka: centrifuge.”

2 Likes

Only in Scotland can one be so nonchalant about ordering a small log cabin like most of us would go about ordering a workbench or a toaster oven for that matter :joy:

No offense meant by the way, I just found this extremely comical :grinning:

2 Likes

First off welcome. These forums are awesome. I like fusion 360. I didn’t have to pay. Just downloaded the trial and when the time is up on trial. Just asked me about if I was a buisness or not. And then the program still works same as ever.

Fusion and v carve will take some learning but many good tutorials to work through. Not too hard with some practice.

My table is a 4’x4’ 36" tall.

And I will also recommend bansawing the profile.

Good luck.

I had downloaded fusion 360 on my work laptop which is disconnected from the network when it’s in my truck. After playing with it for a bit I decided to uninstall it for now and went back to vcarve pro on my home system. I never entered my employers name or any other info when I downloaded it yet one day I get a message from the office that they had gotten a call from autodesk wondering how I liked the software!

Talk about feeling like Big Brother is watching you!

The only way the office knew it was me that I am the only one of the 150 employees who plays with a cnc and the only one of 14 that has a personal computer assigned to them.

Called them back and left a message that i wasn’t using it and never heard back from them.

Well it’s been 10 days since my last update… Still not here! No word, no way to find out either. Really getting annoyed now but the groundworks for the new workshop have been taking my mind off things.

Lol Andre. Yeah “just” a log cabin haha. Got my entire garden cleared now. All new workshops, 3 log cabins in total. Machine room, workshop and paint booth. Keeping them separate allows me to use my land better and avoids planning problems with the local council too. That first 3x3 double glazed one cost me much less than the xcarve by the time I get it here (if it ever arrives) but I didn’t mean to be nonchalant lol.

Devin, thanks man. Seems a lot of people here have done guitar related stuff already. I’m getting there with fusion. Will be a while before im proficient but the tutorials are helping me along.

JkW, yeah it’s nuts nowadays. I joined facebook at the end of last year. Was eventually talked into it by a friend and when I did, I was horrified! The second I told it my name and where I was from, it pretty much knew who my friends were and all manner of stuff linked to me. Huxleys Big brother ain’t far away from the truth nowadays :confused:

Well if the frickin thing ever arrives you guys will be among the first to know. Can’t believe it’s taken this long…

Oh and Earwigger, cheers man, that made me chuckle when I was pissed off :joy:

1 Like

Haha not a problem, I only meant it as a joke :upside_down: That sounds like a great setup though, consider me jealous! I can’t wait to move out of my apartment and get a nice little piece of land. Log cabins everywhere!

1 Like

It’s here!

Yesterday it Finally arrived on my door step. A further £270 in duties. Not even opened up all the boxes yet but I’ll be starting the build this week sometime :grin:.

Ive already watched all the tutorial videos a couple times hehe.

Installed Vcarve just there and it does what I need when coupled with fusion, so everything’s cool. Still got to download the ardunio drivers and things but I’ll get round to that once the machine is built.

I already have heat shrink for the belt mod, any other good tips when puting this together?
Was thinking I have a full Tap/Die set so rather than doing the whole self cutting bolts ordeal, I will tap all necessary holes before I build it, and put a little threadlock with each for the rails etc. I take it there is no problems with that?

Really looking forward to getting this up and going now. Of course I’m still in the middle of building its house, so a few weeks till I can actually cut anything. Figure I can learn how to use the software first.

Thanks again for all the advice and help so far everyone. I’m confident this’ll work out brilliantly for me and a happy camper now it’s finally arrived. Phew…

2 Likes

FYI Phil, I wasn’t offering advice, just stating a fact :wink:

Thing is Phil. Despite what you think, my machine has been built and calibrated properly. In fact, it’s been re-calibrated many many times. I have also carried out all the modifications to it to strengthen it etc and despite all my efforts, it still refuses to behave correctly. It’s not even being asked to do much in the way of hard work (unless engraving acrylic is classed as hard work)

That’s great. What kind of things are you making with it?

To be honest Phil, it’s generally people like you that keep me away from forums…

Here you go. SOCKS! Works every time:

Phil, keep up the good work, you are well respected and I personally enjoy your evaluations of given situations. Thanks

2 Likes

Thanks Robert. Yeah no more feeding the troll. Ignored lol. Just got annoyed.

1 Like

I know Im late to this thread but I can tell you it took me like 30+ hrs to assemble mine. I did it over several days. A couple hrs at a time. But it took so long becasue I took my time making sure I followed every step correctly and every thing was fiting the way it should. There were a couple of steps where I had to use common sense and the instruction was lets say had to use my own brain as well as follow instructions. On top of this. I did the x y and z mods. Then figured out I needed to make a dust boot. Phils design is awesome. And even now months later. I am discovering i need to cut a groove into the stepper motor shafts so the pulley set screw will not slip. My point is if you hate doing all this tinkering and modifying. And troubleshooting then maybe this will abit much for you. For me I love it. Makes it feel like my machine. When I say I built it. I feel honest and confident in that statement. I built it. And can and will make it better as I go with some work. Good luck and spend alot of time on these forums. They have taught me things I never thought I needed to know

2 Likes

Ok so the cabin is built and so is the xcarve. I ran the power cord for the router through the drag chain and used lots of heat shrink to keep things tidy as I went.

Still have the electronic section to build tomorrow then I can start the calibration.

Not far away now guys. I’ll post some pics.

3 Likes

Ran out of funds so I made the sturdiest workbench I could with the materials I had. It’s basically a torsion box top and I’ve used 4x4 for legs and braced the hell out of it. Should do the job and I have the space under for the extraction unit also.

Been a long hard slog building everything but the cabin is fully lined out with insulation double glazed and thermal curtains. Little oil filled radiator keeps it at a comfortable 20 degrees Celsius and I have it all linked into my alarm and camera system etc. Man cave of my dreams haha.

I’all post a pic of my first cut guys :blush:

4 Likes