1st 3d object I put on the X-carve

I used Cut3d to make this sea horse. The model I think came from Thingiverse.
It was a test to see if I could create a 3d carving. I will be doing much more after I figure out a good process.
I used Easel to carve as it is the only tool at the moment I have for running the G-code that is easy to set up.

10 Likes

That looks really good! What bit did you use?

Can you post a link to the thingiverse entry?

Nothing wrong with that. I use Easel for cutting most things I make. I like that it is easy to use, and returns to the X/Y origin when finished. I find that to be really convenient when I have to reset the height after a tool change between passes.

That is really lovely.
would also like the model.
You will find there are also a lot of pretty interesting models in mesh mixer, and you can capture to mesh mixer using 123dcatch.
I’ve been playing with this workflow for a while, using the d/l or capture → meshmixer → memento → fusion360 → Easel workflow
last blog post about it here: Medusa: A Greek Odyssey
let me know if you have questions: I think I know many of the obvious ways to do it wrong now and may be able to shorten your learning curve in how to screw it up…:slight_smile:

1 Like

When I get a chance I will upload it.
Thanks for the info I will spend some time going over it.

Also I can crate my own models.
I use Zbrush and have made my own characters.
Not very well known as I tend to hop from one art subject to the next.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi newbie here. How do you get a 3d file like this inputted into easel? I am very familiar with thingiverse do to I have 3d printers, but new to cnc . thanks

if you have a g-code file that the x-carve can consume,
you can import the g-code from the file menu in easel.
the key challenge is getting to g-code.
think of it like slicer output that you send to a 3df printer, but using a very different toolchain with a very different result.

The basic steps are

• download the stl/obj from thingiverse
  • import it into a 3d modelling too which can generate a CAM toolpath
  • use the CAM toolpath to generate GCOde
  • export the Gcode
  • import the Gcode to Easel.

of course you could write a book about each of those steps,
depending on the tools you are using

are you in easel only, or do you have v-carve, or use blender or fusion … ?

I used cut3d with an imported .stl file
Then I exported each of the tool paths it generates.(watch the tutorials for it on the http://www.vectric.com/ website)
I then imported each one in the order for cutting.
first is rough cut then is the finish
The cutout you only need to do on the first side.

HI I am trying fusion for the first time. I use sketchup for my 3d printers

thanks for the link to vectric Never seen it before. looks cool

what would be the best bits to buy for the photo v carve program? or what bits should I just have in general also for other projects that I might want to do?

Email Vetric’s technical support.
They are very fast at responding.
I would say the V carving bits but then again it depends on material and I could be wrong. I am new too.
Do some google searches on what others are using.
Oh yea there are some really cool Lithophane thread here that you can use photocarve for.
I have a variety of bits. I have gotten them from here and the following places.

They have online stores and ship fast.
I live in the US so if your in another country you can call them and ask about shipping.

Here is the stl file of the Sea horse I used.
Seahorse_t.stl (2.5 MB)