3D carving in Easel

Very excited to see how the new 3D carving will work in Easel.

5 Likes

Me too. Can’t wait!

1 Like

I’ve clearly missed the memo on this one, when is that supposed to happen?

2 Likes

Me too!!

@JohnathanBranson on 10/18

1 Like

Yeah I hope it will be easy to use. And I wonder what file types will be used. And if existing libraries can be used

1 Like

Oct. 18th there is a live event. I found it in my junk/promotions tab. There is a live event that I have reserved a space for to go over features/how to use. I am very excited about this new tool!

1 Like

STL files

1 Like

I have reserved my spot as well, sadly I will be at work, hopefully I will be able to view the podcast later on when I am at home, I would really like to see how it is done, I have easel pro and would really like to add this to one of the many options I offered to my customers, Even if it is on a small scale, this should be fun

2 Likes

Does anyone know of some websites that have free STL files?

1 Like

Thingiverse, cults3d, thangs, printables, some sketchy russian ones too…

5 Likes

Jason,

I agree with @SethCNC there are many more.

1 Like

Oh that’s awesom @Ken4 , are you ok with me using this as a test piece when i start messing around with the 3d carving features?

1 Like

Enjoy, Happy carving

1 Like

How do you convert a picture to a 3D STL file?

1 Like

Well, simple method first: you can try this website converter.
https://3dp.rocks/lithophane/

IF (or rather 95% of the time WHEN) that doesn’t come out the way you want, there are other softwares to do manual manipulation where you can design and contour in 3d such as ZBrush, Aspire, Carveco Maker Plus, as the top 3…

It isn’t a super easy process to make your own highly detailed 3d models.

Thank you Seth

1 Like

What feed speeds are everyone using, roughing pass was at 3000 mm min using 3 tipped 6.0mm end mill and now using a .5 radius tapered ball end for finishing pass and ramped it up to 6000mm min and is still incredibly slow?

My first 3d carve

1 Like

Oops i left off the link to the easy first method :man_facepalming:
https://3dp.rocks/lithophane/

@DavidJose
Forewarning: lots of technical info incoming…

The plunge rate has a major effect on finishing pass, for the duration of the carve that the z is also in Motion (usually most of the 3d carving finishing pass) the plunge overrides the feed…
So if plunge is set lower than feed (on a xcarve the plunge is limited by the grbl settings to 500mm/min and it won’t do faster without editing grbl settings) than the feed is also reduced.

So for example if i carve a simple wave file, constant up and down of the z… it doesn’t matter if i set feed to a million, the feed will go no faster than the plunge setting, up to 500mm/min. So if plunge is set lower than 500, then increase it. If 500 is still to slow (it is for me) you’ll need to look into editing the grbl setting for $112 which is the max plunge rate the cnc will govorn itself down to…

1 Like

Users need to be aware of full cut height of a vertical (Z axis) cut may result in broken bits very easily due to the speed of cutting. This characteristic of the 3D software in Easel. All passes in the finishing engrave are done at full depth, one pass and the same speed no matter how deep. A one inch deep cut at the suggested speed may require a design change to prevent broken bits.

1 Like