3D Dragon carve in red oak

I have a question about surface finish.
If you look careful at the lower right hand corner you will notice a ripple in the surface of the wood.

It is very subtle, barely detectible by touch.

The thing is this rippling follows the couture of the cut lines from the ball nose bit on 3d carves. I don’t get it when using the end mill for pocket cuts.

So I am wondering what is causing it?
Looking back at the other photo is it part of the initial carve so it is not the stain making the wood swell. I guess I just don’t see it until the stain makes the ripples higher contrast.

Any ideas what is going on here?

I am trying to figure out if this is some kind of chatter related issue?

My best guess is that the ripple is caused by the bit deflecting and or the gantry twisting just enough to change the z depth ~.1mm or so?

What is throwing me off is the way to follows the cut lines, seeming to happen in the same place.
Maybe it is related to the compressed dust that builds up on the V rail?
Making a “bump”?

I am using GWisard to calculate my feed and speeds as well as my depth of cut to minimize defection. And this did minimize this effect when I was working with redwood.

V Wheels, pullies and belts are checked before each cut.
And the V Rail dusted off. (but that builds up again during the print)

Other earlier carves I did didn’t seem to have this.
So I am thinking it may be a wear, slippage issue?
Maybe it is something as simple as a dulling bit? It only seems to happen with the ball nose bit. but then again I only 3d carve with the ball nose bit…

Any input would be apreceated

1 Like