611 Acrylic Feed/Speed

I’m getting ready to cut some acrylic using a 1/8" bit (either 2 flute upcut ball end or 2 flute straight flat end). For those with the 611 and acrylic experience, which bit would you choose and what 611 speed, DOC, and cut speed do you use?

The acrylic is ~1/8" thick acrylic mirror (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-24-in-x-36-in-x-118-in-Acrylic-Mirror-AM2436S/202509285). Not sure what process was used to make it, and I plan to do feed/speed testing to dial it in, but it would be nice to have a set of numbers to start from.

I use single flute, .3" depth, Dewalt number 1 speed and feed rate is 50 ipm.

Is that an upcut bit?

Sorry, I’m back. Yes Robert, it is upcut. If it gives fuzz on edges, I’m running full depth one more time and 70 ipm this time to clean the edge.

Hi, Alan. Just to double check. That is .3 and not .03?

I started there and got the following results with the 1/8" ball end 2-flute upcut bit:
Dewalt = 1
DOC = 0.118" (full material depth)
Speed = 180 IPM

Good lord, the chips! I was cutting out the dust guards, and am installing them now. It’s going to be NICE.

Not quite that nice, but I’ll upload a picture when I’m done and let you decide whether it’s close to that nice.

Yes, you’re correct. typing mistake. must be 0.03 to 0.05. Sorry I was fly.

I use the 1/8" Solid Carbide 2 Flute Straight End Mill that comes with the starter pack or inventables sells a 10 pack and it cuts beautifully with acrylic, no fuzz on the edges at all.

No problem. Just checking. I save these feeds and speeds for my log book.

Full writeup AND pictures! Y Axis Braces and Belt Dust Shield

I tried using the 1/8" 2 flute straight flat end mill, but I couldn’t move it fast enough at 611 speed ‘1’ to keep from gumming up. It wouldn’t remove chips. The 1/8" 2 flute upcut ball end mill worked well though, 611 speed ‘1’, .118" DOC, and 180 IPM.

What about with an Inventables carbide engraving bit at a depth of < 0.05"?

I didn’t try the engraving bit since I was trying to cut out a shape from an acrylic sheet, but I bet it would work great with some of the edge lit LED projects I’ve seen on here.

I am getting my machine tomorrow and look forward to doing some acrylic work. Question(s), for a first timer like myself, what software is good to use?

What do you want to cut? In general, the answer to your question is Easel.

i am looking into making maybe some nice xmas ornaments or some acrylic cut jewelery and other items. Just wasnt sure which software would be best.

Easel is free and easy to use, but it all depends on what you want to do. If you want an X-Y or X-Z angle or curve, it won’t do it. If you want to cut outlines, pockets, and various depths that are all at different heights that can be set as “steps” up or down, then it’ll be good.

If all you want to do is basically cut some designs into an acrylic face and cut the acrylic out, you can import the image into Easel and go to town. If you want to do something similar to the face of a coin, where it’s not just flat cuts, that’ll take another program.

Easel’s definitely a good starting spot, especially if you’re starting out in CNC. It’s like Microsoft Paint as compared to Adobe Photoshop, great for basic work and beginners like me. :smile:

question, say there is a picture of something i like that looks that can be cut, how do i use that picture in easel? do I need a different program to vector it then save as a .svg file ?

Easel… can’t really do anything but load and cut .svg files as far as I’m aware.

1 Like

sounds like i will need different software, arggggg