I just finished bracing the Y axis and installing dust shields for the Y axis belts. Here’s the details, since I’m not sure when I will actually get this turned into a project.
All feeds and speeds are for the 1000x1000mm X-Carve with the Dewalt 611 with X axis stiffened. Do not use these feeds and speeds for lesser spindles!!!
I started by cutting out 6 braces from .125" aluminum T6061, using a 12"x12" piece from Inventables. I used the 1/8" 2 flute upcut ball end mill from Inventables. 611 speed was ‘5’, DOC was 0.1 mm, and speed was 800 mm/min. I was able to cut this dry, with incredible results and no gumming up after I figured out the right speed!
After cutting, I drilled the holes, countersunk them slightly to clean up the edges, filed the edges to break sharp corners and remove tabs, then spray painted with gloss black paint.
The Easel file for these braces is http://easel.inventables.com/projects/inZ3luh7R2aaQX6yMxg6LQ. I put little dimples where the holes should go, I decided to use a drill for the holes rather than hope the end mill would work. Here’s the picture of the braces, from start to finish:
After all the braces were painted and dry, it was time to cut out the dust shields. I used a 24"x36" piece of .118" acrylic mirror from Home Depot. I used the same type of bit. 611 speed was ‘1’, with .118" (full depth) DOC and speed of 180 IPM.
I cut the whole depth in a single pass on all 4 dust shield parts, which I would not recommend. The acrylic kept wanting to “walk” up the bit, which caused some rather rough edges. Do yourself a big favor and make multiple shallow passes instead.
The Easel project for the dust shields is http://easel.inventables.com/projects/OVnLbGTM1McXSW2C27dCxA. The large holes allow bolt heads on the braces to pass through, while the small holes are used to attach the dust shield to the makerslide through the middle set of holes on the braces. This way, the shields can be removed while still having a set of bolts on the bottom and top of the braces to maintain integrity of the Y axis.
Here’s what they look like attached from the outside:
And here’s what they look like attached from the inside:
Finally, here’s the overview of the whole thing:
I didn’t order enough t-nuts, bolts, and washers, so the outer two braces only have three bolts instead of six. Still more than good enough, but I may try to get some more in the next couple months.
Overall, I’m VERY happy with this and am looking forward to giving this a try when I cut out a dust boot. The only problem I’ve noticed is that my X axis travel is reduced by half an inch or so on each side, but that’s easy enough to fix by moving the bolt for the X axis homing switch in. No big loss.