I didn't buy the tool kit, I had pretty much everything in my garage that I needed.
I did buy the crimper for the header pins, that was worth the money, and I didn't have one.
You do NOT need the whole header pin "kit" that they offer though, just the crimper, or if you have to, use pliers or a butt-splice crimper. The one they sell definitely works better.
Things I can think of that you'll need off the top of my head:
- Wire Ties
- Wire cutters, small
- Wire strippers
- Crimping tool
- Drill driver with assorted drill bits and driver bits
- Magnifying lenses, either stationary or head mounted (at least if you're old like my, I used these
- Blue loctite
- Tap set, I used these from another forum post tap set
- Soldering iron
- a large workspace.
- Extra M5 x 50mm cap bolts and nylon insert nuts to do the stiffening mod from this forum post, for certain if you have the 1000 x 1000 machine.
- A selection of endmills and material, I got the started set from inventables, but ordered a bunch from Drillman1 on ebay.
- If you have the DeWalt (or other 110v router), and want to let the x-carve control it, the relay mentioned in this forum post works very well.
I'm sure there's other stuff, but that's it off the top of my head.