Necessary Tools

So just ordered my X-carve :smile:! As someone who has a mess of tools around I couldn’t justify spending the money on the tool kit BUT I can’t find a list of needed tools. Can anyone give me a list of the actual tools included?

I didn’t buy the tool kit, I had pretty much everything in my garage that I needed.
I did buy the crimper for the header pins, that was worth the money, and I didn’t have one.
You do NOT need the whole header pin “kit” that they offer though, just the crimper, or if you have to, use pliers or a butt-splice crimper. The one they sell definitely works better.

Things I can think of that you’ll need off the top of my head:

• Wire Ties
  • Wire cutters, small
  • Wire strippers
  • Crimping tool
  • Drill driver with assorted drill bits and driver bits
  • Velcro
  • Magnifying lenses, either stationary or head mounted (at least if you’re old like my, I used these
  • Blue loctite
  • Tap set, I used these from another forum post tap set
  • Square
  • Soldering iron
  • a large workspace.
  • Extra M5 x 50mm cap bolts and nylon insert nuts to do the stiffening mod from this forum post, for certain if you have the 1000 x 1000 machine.
  • A selection of endmills and material, I got the started set from inventables, but ordered a bunch from Drillman1 on ebay.
  • If you have the DeWalt (or other 110v router), and want to let the x-carve control it, the relay mentioned in this forum post works very well.

I’m sure there’s other stuff, but that’s it off the top of my head.
-Kelly

1 Like

I believe the tap you need for the makerslides is M5x0.8.

You will also need:
-T25 driver
-1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 4 mm allen keys
-Miniature screwdrivers
-Like @KellyHickel said, blue loctite.

I highly recommend 16, 18, and 20 gauge ferrules (and ferrule crimper).

I’ve put out a couple videos you may be interested in, specifically Assembly Tips and X-Axis Modification: X-Carve Maintenance/Troubleshooting Videos - Add Your Own!

If you’re going to stiffen the Y axis, you can see how I did it in this thread: Y Axis Braces and Belt Dust Shield

This is what I was really looking for, seeing as I already have a m5 tap, a ton of m5 20mm cap screws and an easy way to drive them this is better than dealing with a torx driver and self tapping screws. What is used to attach the frame to the waste board?

For sure!