99 bottles of beer on the wall... er umm bottle openers (rated PG-13) Censorship sucks

Looks good. and now i want a beer.

Might i suggest moving the magnet down further. you get a 12 pack of caps on there and it’ll be difficult to get a bottle under the opener. That’s just the lazy side of me talking, let the caps build up as much as possible till you HAVE to take them off.

Only reason I put it up higher is because I figured it may need a stronger magnet down lower to catch the caps.

I’d probably end up doing both. People like the idea of the magnets, sleeker look i suppose

I’m going to make the catch bucket on some. Probably give the option. Some it looks better without depending on the phrase or image. The dollar here and there definitely add up over time, but even with the magnet cost added in…you should make a hefty profit.

@PhilJohnson I want to say that i liked you more pre-laser… but it is just not true

2 Likes

Pretty sweet design Phil! That is the exact reason I want a laser. Etch, done. No painting.

1 Like

My first bottle opener attempt made with Easel Pro and Vcarved. This was a birthday present for a Co-worker also. 3 coats of shellac and 2 coats of Helmsman Semi-Gloss Indoor/Outdoor Spar Urethane. For the bottom, I cut six 1" diameter holes to a depth of .7, leaving a thin ~.05 and glued 6 cheap magnets in that I got from Lowes.

4 Likes

Think there would be anything wrong with just going to town on the carvings, not considering the magnet, bucket, etc. for the caps, then figuring that out after? Be nice to just churn out a ton of different backs, then maybe have the option for others to choose what they wanted or even to just eyes it and see which style looks best with what design.

I’d want to have some idea on future plans. Right now I’m using all magnets though.

Adjust your planer.
Or cheat by running the work piece through on top of a much longer piece of MDF to bridge across your infeed and outfeed rollers

1 Like

a few? not sure that’s how it works with you. it’s either one very detailed one or 20 slightly less detailed yet still intricate ones.

2 Likes

I see a line of 3D Demon openers in the near future lol

2 Likes

Wonder if this one would sell? Had free time at work trying to come up with some new designs.

2 Likes

Saw these last night at Kohl’s selling for $32.99 ea. They have it sitting in a small metal box to catch the tops.

did you notice how those were to be hung?

I did not. But I might swing by there later after work and see what I can see. Stay tuned…

1 Like

what’s recommended carve setting for these on simple hardware store pine?

I’ve been using the premium pine at Lowes. I use a 1/16’ downcut for them. Could do two stage with a 1/8" to clear more out quicker, but just a 1/16’ adds only a few minutes total carve time and I don’t have to mess with changing the bit and zeroing the Z again. I use 55ipm feed, 15ipm plunge and .02" depth per pass.

What’s the difference between the premium and common? I buy the cheap common stuff.

A good tip I picked up from someone on the forum (can’t remember who).

If you search google images for what you are looking for e.g “funny beer” then on the results page just under the search bar select ‘settings’ then change ‘any color’ to ‘black & white’. Much more accurate than adding Black and White to your search.

https://www.google.com/search?q=funny+beer&tbm=isch&source=lnt&tbs=ic:gray&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiNv6-mraDXAhVHKVAKHW47AzsQpwUIHg&biw=1920&bih=1014&dpr=1