A few questions/issues with the new xcarve

So, following the instructions on the website, I have my system built…ish. a few things bother me. How do you know when you have the tension set on the belts right?
How do you set the dip switches/potentiometers for the upgraded stepper motors?

These are the ribbon cables I got. Now with my computer background, those cables are set with the pins in a certain way. Having to flip one side, will that cause problems?
How do I set up the zprobe part? Didn’t see anything about it…

Are there any other things to check/watch out for before plugging it in and giving it a test? (This is my first anything like this, so I apologize for the ignorance.) Thanks in advance.

Go to the site, store and find the X-Controller. There is a link there for instructions.

I did, and the part for the dip switches says to use the lowest that gives the desired results. Since I’ve never used it, is setting it to 1/16 the “default”? And the link to the other uses is a bad link.

Any ideas on the rest?

Seems more related to trying to get the computer to recognize it. I haven’t hooked up my computer as I’m still trying to determine the final setup of a couple components before I more forward. Zprobe, belt tension, ribbon cables inside the xcontroller, and the dipswitches are my issues right now. I didn’t look real close at the pots, but appears they should be set to the 2.8 setting as I have the 23 motors.

Look in the “prepare controller board” section here. If you have a multimeter the easiest way to set the pots is to measure at the voltage test points as explained in the instructions. I believe the default stepping value for the X and Y axis is 1/8 and the Z is 1/2 (you can see this if you zoom in on the picture in the instructions).

1 Like

Ok, that should take care of the switches and pots… That’s a good start. Still haven’t found any specifics on the rest.

I like easy. I’ll have to order that. Thanks!

There is an additional technique for the Y belts if you have a musical ear - after you’ve set the tension with the fish scale, as a final check move the gantry all the way forward (so you can adjust from the rear) and pluck the belts and adjust until they have the same note as each other. That way you’re pretty sure they are at least the same tension as each other.

1 Like

Yeah, the instructions say you don’t have to do anything with the controller board unless you don’t want to rewire stepper motors for separate drivers.( This is for upgrade ). I’m counting on that being correct :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, when the instructions said listen for an audible tone… I did just that… But Just like with any instrument, if I need an A, and I tighten it to a G, it’s not going to go well… So knowing what particular sound it needs would be helpful.

So that would leave how to install/setup the zprobe… And if anyone else had the same issue with their grey ribbon cables having one end being backwards (or the plugs on the board were…)

I think my ribbon cables attached just like yours.

Once the tension is set with the fish scale technique you’re not plucking the belts for a specific note, you’re plucking them to match each other. You could actually use the fish scale for one, then use the pluck for the other. The theory is that if the belts are matched in tension/stretch you are minimizing any teeth/inch difference between them.

1 Like

Any issues with yours?[quote=“StanPhillips, post:15, topic:28612, full:true”]
I think my ribbon cables attached just like yours.
[/quote]

I just assembled the controller last night and have not tried anything yet. I started a topic “X-controller assembly” wanting to know if it was safe to power on the controller without attaching any of the peripherals because I wanted to test the Estop out. It doesn’t sound/feel right when depressed. Haven’t got an answer on that yet.

I do think one of the oics in the instructions shows the ribbon twisted in order to hook up correctly.

The pics in the “new” xcarve write up definitely showed them not the way mine is.

The potentiometers on the X-Controller are set for the NEMA 23’s we ship with. You don’t need to adjust them unless you are using different stepper motors with different tech specs.

The potentiometers on the controller board allow you to control the maximum current to the motors. Clockwise increases the current and counter-clockwise decreases the current. Current ratings are different for NEMA 17 (1.6A) and NEMA 23 (2.8A) stepper motors and need to be set accordingly. The slot between the dots on the gray actuator is the pointer, and can be adjusted based on the diagram on the controller board.

For those users who would like to know the current more precisely, you can measure the amount of voltage on the reference and ground test points. Use the formula on the diagram to determine the current. For example, if you measure 1V you get 2.13 amps.

Ok great. Now looks like I’m down to the questions of if the ribbon cables having an end that connects backwards, and how to connect the zprobe and I should be set to test

They’re keyed. Keyed connectors and straight thru ribbons generally will be ok. I’ll look at mine when I get home. I didn’t pay attention to the cable orientation but now I’m curious.

Yeah, like I said, with computers, the red side painted line needs to match up with a specific pin. If the cable end or the connector was installed backwards, that line would match with the opposite side pin causing problems.