Aluminum milling! Help ME!

I would stay away from 4 flute end mills for aluminum. Not enough room to evacuate the chips (causing rubbing and eventual chip welding from the heat). 3 flute end mills can be dangerous too, for the same reason. 2 flutes work great in general, I really had to push the end mill to get it to weld when i was still experimenting with feeds/speeds. With a single flute you can go pretty much whatever speed your calculator says you can go.

Thanks guys!

HAHA I would honestly start at .03-.04 DOC on the x-carve with a single flute bit though I am not sure about that 4 flute one I think it will not have a good time

With the stiff mods in place whats a good place to push with a 4 flute?

I wouldn’t touch 4flute at all. Usually those end mills are for hard metals like steel or titanium, or purely for finishing passes.

2 Likes

Sign for customer. may be in 3/4 3/8 or 1/4. not sure yet.

I use Onsrud Tooling they are very very good tools

here are somethings to get you started on the right track

2012 LMT Onsrud Production Cutting Tools Aluminum.pdf (32.8 KB)
LMT-Onsrud-CNC-Prod-Routing-Guide.pdf (1.1 MB)
OC-12-ProductionCuttingToolCatalog.pdf (2.8 MB)

so steel u say? :smiling_imp:

Larger is 1/4 4 flute. can be pushed the fastest!

1 Like

very nice sign that is going to look sweet!!

how small of tool are you going to have to go to get that lettering?

my last concern.

Even Worse

yeah that lettering looks crazy thin even at 31x 31" might have to use a small 1/8" tool to cut those letters what does easel do when you select the 1/8" tool?

never mind you already did lol what is your feeds and speeds set to?

is this going to be made out of like .080" aluminum sheet?

have you looked at using a product called max-metal? its a aluminum composite digital substrate really cool stuff and way cheaper than solid aluminum

would you like to share the file?

http://easel.inventables.com/projects/uUq0BXZhpwfnQl7pARhaJQ#

If its standing then it needs to support itself.