Aluminum milling! Help ME!

might want to fiddle around but instead of doing pocket cuts perhaps just cut to the inside of the contour it will be much faster

omg im a friggin spastic!!!

1 Like

here is that max-metal it will support itself its pretty solid material 3mm thick

edge gets smacked and its bent

Where to buy?

http://www.grimco.com/Catalog/Products/MAXmetal

What size sheet? and how much? its asking me to sign in.

Yeah I would create a account really quick so you can view the pricing in your area I am not sure what part of the country you are in but there are grimco locations all over the place there is probably one close to you

pick up local though you don’t want to pay the shipping on a 4x8 sheet lol

but its like 50-60 bucks for a 4x8 sheet of material in my area

man this post blew up lol 59 posts in about an hour lol

Whats it made of? beside the obvious. and whats it for?

so basically it is a layer of hdpe plastic will aluminum sheet sandwiched on both sides

and the material is mostly used in the sign industries

but it is also a digital substrate which means that any print shop can print a photo directly onto the material which is pretty cool

wow thats epic! u did that?

I didnt do that one in particular but I have done work exactly like that for other customers

be sure to keep updated on the ol youtube channel I am going to make a end mill tooling video all about end mills and go into some really deep detail

here is a video of working in some aluminum with a single flute I got an amazing surface finish right off the machine

2 Likes

V-Carve the fine lettering. If you do not have V-Carve, use F-engrave. Use this bit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122091063712?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

2 Likes

Look at you…

there you go !! nice is that using that 4 flute tool?

.25 4 flute @ 75ipm .005doc
could have pushed its either harder or faster. not sure which is better.

1 Like

Keep the speed here and increase your DOC slowly. Then - remember to record your settings somewhere. So many materials, bits, speeds, feeds - you need your own database. Those chips looked great.

1 Like

i thought they looked kinda small. the bigger the chip the better.
with the new rail and extra y stiff mods it cuts to a decent finish.