Angus's linuX-Carve

Sure you do, X-carve. :smiley:

Just really, really, really slow.

1 Like

Unless you really really really really love living where you do it is time to move to the states. :smile:

1 Like

But you do have a dog!

I had a (fairly) flat bench surface to start. I put half a sheet of 18mm MDF ($38/sheet) on top of this and shimmed it level using a spirit level. If you don’t have a large enough bench then a few lengths of 90x45 across saw horses with a sheet of 18mm MDF on top will do it. If you spend the time to get the build surface flat, then the torsion box will be flat too. As said, take your time to get the pieces square. You’ll need a nail gun or lots of long clamps.

OMG, I can’t believe the prices you’re paying for the materials. I’m not moving !

That’s still pretty expensive. For a full sheet of 1/2" MDF here in Canada (atleast in Saskatchewan) I pay about $30CAD. That sucks it’s so much for you.

:sob: That’s painful just reading about that.

1 Like

The trade off is living in Barbados

1 Like

What about some coconut carving? Should be easy to get in Barbados :smile:

You could start with half a coconut. Half the price and half the height :smile:

1 Like

If you can get some 1/4" or 6mm aluinum it will work just fine.

Here is a link to the DXF drawing of the long wide Y axis end plates.

Dave

I moved my pulley out. Just make sure you still have enough motor shaft to screw the little hex screws into.

I would imagine what really matters is where are the pulleys in relation to the belt. Yes the pulleys should line up, but the belt is in a fixed position, and the belt should have an easy transition on and off the pulleys, not be rubbing on the sides of the pulleys.

Agree with Andy.

In my assembly the pulleys are not flush with the shaft, they are offset by about 5 mm. That leaves plenty of space for the set screws.

Later in the instructions it should have you line them up if I remember right… the belt should end up running straight as you said. Make sure it isn’t rubbing on either side of the belt.

Yes, they instruct us first to align with the rod on motor and later on to align with the outer edge on the wheels. No problems to lock with set screws.

1 Like

Does that mean your machine has cleared customs??