Angus's linuX-Carve

Does grbl even support 4 axes?

Too warm your paradisesā€¦

Mine:

This is Brrr!

-35C and a guy throwing warm water in the air

they have those tools for 25$ thats money that you can save if you have your own tools

Geoff, How are you planning to use a cncshield/arduino with the G540?

I thought the cncshield has the drivers for the motors like the G540 does. I picked up one a while back for possible use with my X-Carve. Along with an Uno plus the drivers. I got mine from either dx.com or banggood.com.

Oh speaking about Gecko G540s, here is an interesting link for an interface board to make it easier to wire one.

http://www.rpc-electronics.com/g540.php

@MartinLightheart My plan is to use a cncshield. I just need the bare board with the necessary headers connected for step/direction/limit switches etc but no stepper drivers installed.
Iā€™ll use a parallel printer cable, remove one end and fit header pin connectors to the exposed wires. These will be connected to the correct headers on the cncshield.
I will have to rewire one of the Y axis steppers so it goes in the opposite direction to the other. At the moment, that is done in Linuxcnc but thereā€™s not provision for that in grbl.
I even managed to find an old A/B printer switch so I can switch between the Arduino running grbl and the PC running Linuxcnc.
Just waiting on the arrival of a couple of eBay Arduino Uno before I can try this out.

@GeoffSteer that sounds interesting. When you get it all done, please share it. :slight_smile:

I noticed same thing with my X plate on left side when reassembling, strip of paint just came off right on the edge with tinny rust under it. Iā€™m seriously considering just machining my own plates at some time :frowning:

wow even your bolt ends are rusted! I live in a pretty humid area but no means seeing this level of corrosion or peeling. Sorry for your luck in this. Just remake into shiny aluminum plates :slight_smile:

I live right by the sea (50 metres or so to the water) but thankfully itā€™s normally low humidity. Iā€™m more likely to get water damage from condensation when it gets cold.
Hope this doesnā€™t hold you up too much, Iā€™m looking forward to the rest of your build, after all itā€™s another Linuxcnc Xā€“Carve!
Sucks to live in the tropics :wink:

Last time I ordered somethng from the US it was via USPS (the only affordable option) and was claimed to reach me in ā€˜10 working daysā€™. Someone must have been working a short week as it took closer to 3 weeks until I had it.
At least I donā€™t have your problem with Customs. While Iā€™m sure just about everything is checked by Customs and Quarantine, as thereā€™s no duty or GST on items under $1000, it just gets forwarded on.

Iā€™m thinking about milling my own endplates next week - definitely need the extra height for materials. So how tall did you go?

could one of us ship it to you? Gotta imagine the customs paperwork over it would be a nightmare considering your recent trips to collect packages.

Itā€™s hard to feel bad for you Angus considering that I am expecting my shop this Saturday to be 7F lol
But it puts in perspective how spoiled I am.
McMaster ground shipping takes 1 day for me, Inventables 2-3 days, 8020inc 2 days, newegg 1 day and amazon prime most of the time is calculated in hours not days.

@Deepnoizer I hate you ā€¦

To Oz, three weeks minimum delivery from the US. Add $20 minimum shipping via USPS. Donā€™t even ask about DHL/Fedex rates.
At lease I donā€™t have Angusā€™ hassles with Customs.

So the only possible solution is for us to come on down there. Based on your photos before of where you are, I am pretty sure those of who live in the snow belt right now wouldnā€™t complain of hauling some stock in our luggageā€¦

2 Likes

Sounds like and X-Carve meet up at @AngusMcleodā€™s place is cooking up.

Sounds like you need to make some more cake for the girls in customs. :smile:

If it gets you out of paying duties. Let the grape vine rumble. :smile:

Are those for mounting the stock drag chain bracket? Iā€™ll take a look at mine when I get home tonight and let you know if no one answered before then!