Another clock face

Let’s resurrect this…

When it comes to designing the face, are you using a guide or placing the time markers each time?

I’ve made clock marks before, but became so frustrated I relied on the easy ones–noon, three, six and nine.

I don’t know if I should bother learning what angles the in betweens go or if there’s a better way.

Are you using vcarve? There’s an option to place items at X degrees around a circle, so it was pretty easy to place the markers and numbers.

After some research, I figured out how to repeat the same “image” as it rotates around the circle or object. There was a handy PDF explaining it!

Then again, I realized I could simply “rotate” the canvas after adding the time marker! ha

1 Like

In the CAD world, they call that a “polar array” vs. “rectangular array”.

Has anyone tried these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/401146258364?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

They are from Hong Kong, not sure about the quality.
Where are you guys getting the clock movements from?

1 Like

I’ve bought clock mechanisms from both china and US suppliers. Haven’t found any difference. I think most US suppliers get them from China anyway. At $1.60 a piece, even if a couple are bad, your cost is still right.

1 Like

I would never spend 16 a pop on a mechanism specially from Hong Kong. As for a clock face, I have been making clock faces before CNC I laid it out in photoshop and converted to burn the numbers on a cd using lightscribe. Pretty much angles by division are the secret. 12 is at - 0 each number is 30 degrees from that.

That’s $16 for 10, not each.

2 Likes

that is better I should of read it closer…

Klockit just had a sale where their $9 3AA movements were $2 or so each, along with a bit of other stuff. They’ve always been good for clock parts for me.

Still need to put black in the numbers. The relief is easier to see in person

6 Likes

No, I will try stain on the next one.

Is that “bass” wood? :laughing:

4 Likes

It is Poplar

So stain the whole thing, then do the carve or carve then stain?

Yes on the vectrics fish and thanks for the info

Hmmm I can create the 3d files for you guys in vectric you would just to fine tune it for all your own needs

I have been looking for a nice F16, F35 or F18 jet but cant seem to find one.

thanks again Phil

1 Like

2 Likes