Any interest in a Makita RT0701 spindle mount for X-Carve

Hi John , would you consider either shipping to the UK or making the design files available?

Not to undercut John’s desire to help out the X-carve community, I’m planning to use this Makita router and found a 3D printed mount for it on ThingIverse. Look for “Makita Spindle Adapter for Shapeoko 2 Spindle” by odie_wan. It uses the “general purpose” spindle mounting plate.

It printed out very nicely. I haven’t used it yet as I am still piddling around with the wiring. I would have some concerns about the stability of an ABS mount but I would also have some concerns about the added weight of John’s design. I see from other online chatter that there are some who are concerned about flexing of the X axis and have actually bolted the two pieces of Makerslide together (with the appropriate spacers).

I also see that some are using the Dewalt adapter for the Makita, the 611, I think, with shims. I guess it all depends upon whether you’re making a replacement part for your Rolex or a piece of railroad track!

I guess it depends if your trying to build a toy or a tool.

I’m not opposed to shipping to UK, but the design files are available as well. let me know

It is my opinion that if your adding a router like the 3.8 lb - Makita 701c or the 4.6 lb - Dewalt 611, it would be wise to take steps to reinforce things. My router is ANYTHING but stock and has been reinforced in every way I can.

I personally wouldn’t put a 1.25hp router on a stock x-carve, there are too many weak (flex) points. And making a mount for a 1.25hp router from plastic is not MY idea of rigid, but if it works for others, great, just not how I do things.

It all comes down to what your making. If your cutting light material and accuracy is not high on your list, then I doubt theres a need for a larger router, and heavy duty mount.

There is an IGS file available here Paul,

Does anyone know if the Makita RT0700 is the same size as the RT0701? Only the RT0700 is available locally here in Finland. JohnScherer’s mount looks very nice, but why doesn’t Inventables come up with a Makita mount already?

Hi John

Firstly thanks for the quick response and sharing the design file. Would it be possible for to get an estimate of the shipping costs? I’ll download the files now and have a look.

Cheers

Paul

Hi John

This is just what im looking for,are you shipping to Norway by any chance ? :smiley:

Hey John, yes I want one. Please send info to my email dennis.martin@sullair.com. Thanks

They are the same diameter.

Helge, I will ship anywhere your will to pay for :wink:

Shipping weight is only 0.5 kg so should not be too bad

I want to add one more thing about my mount. This mount, and the Makita router for that mater, are not recommended if your still using Nema17 motors on your system. They just don’t have the torque to move the > 4 pounds (1.8kg).

Also, if you want a mount kit, please, please, fill out the forum I linked to above if you haven’t already. Its too hard to keep track of all the random people who are asking about them.

That is great John :+1: :smile:
I have the new nema 23 motors so hope they will do ?
Yes i filled in the form you linked to
Btw looks like a great job you’v done making this mount,looking forward to mount my makita in it so the x-Carve can come alive 100%.
Thank you

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I just finally bit the bullet and ordered the X-Carve. Also ordered the Makita RT0700. I filled out your form and would like to buy one of your mounts. International priority flat rate box would be the preferred shipping method. Thanks!

1 Like

For those wondering, If you have filled out the form linked at the top, there is nothing else for you to do. I’ll be invoicing via PayPal once I get them packaged up. If the email you provided in the forum is not your PayPal address, let me know.

-John

1 Like

Why is the router so far away from the spindle carriage? For clearance? It looks like it could move a 1/2" or more toward the gantry which would be exponentially less stress on the two flimsy, unmodified x-axis makerslides.

Does this ‘just’ clear?

I drew up and made a set of mounts w/ integrated dust collection for the Makita ages ago, and included my thoughts on the design process: http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3658

Aluminum is a much better material choice though.

There are a number of other mount designs listed on the ShapeOko wiki: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Spindle_Options

Agree that keeping the spindle as close as possible to the gantry to minimize lever effects is an important consideration. It also gains a little bit of working area.