Anyway to verify position

Okay the veterans will think this is stupid…but we are all new once.

I don’t have anything special to set home. I have found that after a carve easel returns to x0 y0 but not z0 which seems to stay at the retract height. So I have to somehow calculate and set the z axis before the next cut…which is never perfect.

Also I would like to be able to verify a position of a pocket before carving.

I have several paths I need to run and I’m afraid to change bits…but somehow they never align properly. I’m so sick of this…I have to run each path > 7 hours only to find that the next tool path is slightly off.

If all I have to go off is x/y I’m screwed.

In addition why is the simulator view not synced to the cutting position? Kind of useless isn’t it?

I’m not getting the finer details of pulling together a project.

Mad props to you guys that can make anything!!!

Without homing switches, you’ll find multiple-tool jobs much more difficult.
You’ll also want to start probing for Z on multiple-tool jobs.

homing switches are a night and day improvement for repeatability. i couldn’t live without mine.

Have you set your machine to $1=255 in machine settings? this will keep power to your stepper motors during a bit change so you cant move the carriage and lose your position.

In addition to what Steve mention, also make sure dip switch #4 for each axis is =OFF.
(#4 govern Idle Current Reduction, located on the red switch blocks inside the Xcontroller housing)

1 Like

SteveMoloney “Have you set your machine to $1=255 in machine settings?” I’m just starting out too and would like to know how to do this

1 Like

Open Easel - Machine Inspector - locate Console window:
Type $1=255 and press Enter
To list the current $-values simply write in Console $$ and press Enter

1 Like

Thanks HaldorLonningdal i’ll do that tomorrow.
Had a project that didnt go as expected. I think because the XY moved on the finishing stage every so slightly.

1 Like

If you have homing switches installed you can reset and restart using previous home position (work zero)

I certainly appreciate the helpful tips!!! Ty all.

I know easel allows a feed rate increase up to 200%…but is there anyway to go higher? My situation is that something is limiting the feed rate in my Gcode. It is running at 400, but I have tested it up to 1200, then backed it off to 1100 and done several successful carves. But when I’m doing my guitar body it is painfully slow. It took 7+ hours to do an adaptive clearing pass. But since I can’t send a command after I start I’m stuck at 400.

I’m installing the homing switches tonight, and I have a z probe.

So after I do the machine homing, I would use that as work homing as well?

Easel allow you to adjust, based on the feed rate given in the design. So if you need more than 200% og 400mm/min you need to edit custom feed rates.

The max feed rate is “hard coded” in the GRBL parameters and you can not go beyond this value at all.

Work flow is as follows:^

• Power up machine
  • Do a homing cycle (Home your machine)
  • Jog by using the Easel jog panel to your intended work zero (= Home position)
  • Confirm this as your Home Position, carve (this will store the work zero as an offset relative to machine zero (homing switches)

So if for any reason you need to reset, simply:

• Power machine up
  • Homing cycle
  • Carve using Previous Home position
    If you have changed bit you will need to reset for Z.

Have you considered a Triquetra 3 axis touch plate to set your X Y Z axis zero position all at once? I’ll tell you up front that I make and sell them so yes, there is some bias here so don’t take my word for it. Search this forum and some of the Facebook user groups for the X Carve. If you aren’t familiar with it, what it does is probe a touch plate to locate the corner where your three axis meet, That set of coordinates are stored and remain intact. When you have a bit change mid project, all you need to do is reset your Z axis height which can easily be done with the Triquetra as well. If you accidentally loose your X Y location during a bit change or just stop for the night, or a week, you can use the Triquetra to re-establish the exact same X Y Z zero and resume your next tool path with confidence that All three axis will be set just as they were on the first tool path, Even if you move your work piece to a different location on your waste board.

One thing that I didn’t see addressed in your original post was about the Z axis not returning to zero with the X and Y axis. This is perfectly normal. You Z zero location is still in set. If you were to run a different tool path without changing anything at all using the same bit you would find that your Z axis will still be correct. When you change a bit between tool paths, your X and Y will still be valid as long as you don’t move the gantry with brute force. Jogging the gantry is perfectly fine though. It won’t cause your X or Y to be lost. Your machine is smart enough to know where it is at all times except when you move it by hand. Changing a bit for a second tool path is not something the machine can figure out. It is likely that the length of the bit will be different which invalidates your Z zero position. As you have discovered already, getting your Z axis back to the exact same location is very difficult. That is where the touch plate comes in. It can quickly and easily restore your Z axis height by probing a touch plate. With a touch plate, the tip of your bit will always be set the same relative to the height of your material. With a three axis touch plate, all three axis will find the work zero position and it is absolutely repeatable, meaning that it will always find the corner for you.

Charley Thoms

2 Likes

A little expensive for me at the moment…but looks great!!!

Okay let’s say I stop the process to modify the feed rate in the gcode but I am an hour in. Is there anyway to do this continuing where I left off…so I don’t need to run the whole file again

There is not really an easy way to do this in Easel.

Have you tried utilizing the feed-rate override during a carve?

{:0)

Brandon Parker

Easel dont allow one to edit gcode, but you could draw a shape over the already carved parts and set depth = 0 for that area. Easel will then ignore the shaded part.

The only other way is to edit the gcode manually, by removing the already carved part of the code. Care need to be taken, especially for Z.

Yes I did it after my first two stage carve last April. Absolute must to do! Not sure why this is not already done when purchased, it should be.

Can you expand further…I’m intrigued

The settings apply power to your stepper motors while it is in idle state preventing you from moving the gantry while you do bit changes.

Would it be possible to connect a second Arduino that can be used for job adjustments?