Are there any plans for an Easel tutorial (perhaps a video)?

I’ve tried messing with the program in hopes of having at least a basic grasp before my machine arrives. But I’m not even really sure where to begin.

Plus, I’m not getting the 3D preview. But that’s a whole separate issue that I’m hoping I can get past when I try a different, more modern, laptop. This laptop is running XP, which I’m pretty sure is too old to run the required drivers.

We do have some plans to expand the tutorials. Here is a video you can watch to get started. The right side requires WebGL to be enabled. I’m not sure if Windows XP is capable of running WebGL but if it is then if you turn it on then you’ll see the right side too. One thing to keep in mind is Easel is improving every week. There are new features and updates to the interface since these videos have been recorded.

An intro from Bob at I Like to Make Stuff

I would think that would be a great idea. Since you guys developed it and know all the ins and outs. How about a series of videos. from the basics to the advanced of what can be done and made in just easel. So us noobies can play around and get the hang of it.

I have been holding off on getting one until i understand the software first. id like to make some projects before i get the machine so I feel comfortable with the software. I would hate to spend the money on something that I cant get to do what I want because I am limited to what I can do in the software… So please make a Easel tutorial section from the very basic to the more advanced.

@JeffTalbot did you ever finish that tutorial video you had been working on?

I experimented with a couple of feature-specific tutorials. I think the production time I was putting into them was too large for it to be scalable.

I did, by the way, get a brand new computer a few weeks ago. It handles Easel’s 3D preview window with no problem. I’m still working on figuring out the program so that I don’t have to do everything in another program and import the files.

I know it’s my ignorance when it comes to vector graphic software that’s holding me back at this moment. Easel almost seems too basic. I’m having trouble figuring out how to make objects be a given dimension and some other basic tasks. But I know the ability has to be there so I’ll keep digging until I hit pay dirt. Again, it’s a lack of knowledge on my part.

My machine is finally assembled and it has a dedicated work surface in my shop. Next step is to put it to work. I’m anxious to start using the machines in my videos and letting more people know incredible Inventables and its products are.

What do you think about the proposed tutorials outlined in this post?

Zach,

I’ve been working in easel almost exclusively for the last 9 months. It’s amazing how many things I’ve learned, forgotton and re-learned. So yes, I’m all for tutorial videos. The more the better! Actually, I would love to see some kind of written version description document (VDD) for Easel .

It’s tough to keep up with all the changes, so being able to reference a current VDD would be a big help. It would be a lot quicker and easier to get changes out to the makers . Maybe add a version number in the corner of the easel page that would link to it.

Now this is the part where you tell me the document already exists and I just haven’t haven’t found it yet. :blush:

Thanks,
Jeff