Auto Zero all 3 axis at one time

thank you it dose

Charley,

Thank you very much. This is amazing.

What program do you use for your x-carve?? stock firmware??

Best regards Erik

All the electronics are stock on my x-carve. GRBL 9i I believe.

I am also using UGS and PicSender. Both work well and allow the g-code to zero all three axis at one time.

2 Likes

Right now im updating my schapeoko2 to a x-carve.

The shapeoko was running on mach3 but no usb cnc. Old computer with windows xp. In mach 3 i can use the auto tool zero option.

I put a aluminium bed on my workpiece. The router bit touch the plate and its zero for the z-axis. I filled in the thickness of the aluminium plate in gcode. Clean z axis zero.

Im thinking to buy the g-shield and arduino one to use the usb port of my macbook instead of the old pc.

So i was wondering and i need to do a research how you put youre g-code in a project with the arduino and easel??

Sorry for my bad englisch. Im from the Netherlands.

Best regards Erik

Unfortunately, I have not tried to use the g-code that I generate with my spreadsheet with easel. I would expect it to work the same but I can not confirm this. I do not dislike easel but my internet connection at the shop is not reliable enough to use it.

Perhaps there is an easel user out there who would be willing to try it.

To be clear though, the g-code is NOT combined with your project. It is a stand alone file that is run to zero your machine. After that, you load your project file to cut.

I hope I understood your question and answered it.

Charley

Thank you charley.

I did my my research on the internet to understand how it works with arduino.

I fully understand how it works. Thank you for youre help.

Erik

hello kind sir, I really enjoyed your demo, what Program are you running in the background to run the G code?
where do the wires hook-up on the gShield

Sorry for the slow reply, I have been under the weather for the last 2 days.

I have ran this g-code with both Universal G-Code Sender and Pic Sender. There are other software solutions available that can be used to send g-code such as Easel and Chilipeper but I have not tried either of those.

As for the wiring, the NONE of the wires are connected to the G-Shield. The lead that connects to the touch plate is connected to Pin A-5 on the Arduino board and the Negative lead that connects to the router bit is connected to the Power Supplies Negative output terminal. Here is a PDF file that shows the Arduino connection pin location which connects to the touch plate. (NOT THE ROUTER BIT).

Touch Plate Wiring.pdf (256.4 KB)

Hope this helps,

Charley

1 Like

You are correct about that but as for myself, I like to include the G20 or G21 at the beginning of the file to insure that I am operating in the desired mode and that it was not changed inadvertently prior to running the zeroing g-code. This simply insures that it is in the correct mode.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply, Are you using Mach3 or Easel?

I don’t use either. I use Pic Sender mostly and occasionally I use Universal G-code Sender.

2 Likes

once again thank you, but do you make any 3D surfaced parts? since I am sort of new to the personal milling world I would believe understanding a perfect zeroing sequence would be crucial to the output no matter what. I’m still a little weak as to what program you have loaded to zero and how you run a SVG file after zeroing.
Yes I’m a software rookie, my strength is in the mechanical systems.

Yes, I do occasionally mill 3d parts.

Many CNC users actually use multiple software packages to create the end result - the machined part.
Let’s just say I want to machine a simple square into a piece of wood. Here is my typical work flow.

1. I use Aspire to design my parts visually. I set my material dimensions in the software for the length, width and thickness of the wood I will be using.

2. Still in Aspire, I draw a square on the work piece displayed and position it where I want it to be.

3. Still in Aspire, I switch to the tool path section and choose the type of tool path I want to create. I can choose a profile, outline, pocket, v-carve, or even a 3d. For my square I will choose to do a simple profile.

4. Still in Aspire, I set the bit size and cutting parameters such as depth of cut, feed rate, spindle rpm, depth per pass, etc.

5. Still in Aspire, I click a button to calculate the tool paths and then a preview button to preview what the part will look like when cut. If I am happy I save the tool path to a g-code file and exit Aspire.

6. I mount the actual piece of wood to the cnc machine, and load the software that will actually feed the g-code file to the cnc machine. I use both Universal G-Code Sender and Pic Sender.

7. Before loading the g-code file I created in Aspire, I load the g-code file that will be used to zero my bit on all three axis at one time. I have multiple files for this purpose and each is based on the actual bit size I am using. These g-code files were generated by using my Auto Zero spread sheet.

8. When the auto-zero g-code file is loaded I jog the machine so that the bit is in the starting position and then insure that all the wires are attached. When everything is set, I run the auto-zero g-code. The bit moves around and finds the touch plate at all three axis and sets the machine position so that when it is told to go to zero on all three axes, the center of the bit will be perfectly on the front left corner of the wood.

9. Now that the bit has been zeroed, I load the g-code file created with aspire and run it. The part gets cut out and apart from painting or other finishing, I am done. I now have a piece of wood with a square engrave on it and because my zeroing process was so precise, I can make more of the same parts and they will all be exactly the same every time.

I hoped this cleared up your confusion.

Charley

2 Likes

Charley, your answers are wonderfully strait forward. I’m trying to figure out what software I’m going to develop toolpaths with for 3d. Tinkering with fusion 360 right now at the moment. I have solid works 2009 to design parts so I shouldn’t need aspire. so I will try your method by substituting Fusion for generating the tool path G code. I will have something by the end of the weekend.
Thank you so much.

I bought one of these from Charley and I couldn’t be happier. Great product, comes with excel sheet sheet built to make zeroing the 3 axis’s a breeze.

I am pretty new to most of this, and Charley has been kind enough to continue to help with the questions I have along the way, even offered up his number for me to call and talk me through problems I was having. (Operator problems, not equipment)

Just wanted to show my appreciation. Thanks Charley Thomas.

3 Likes

Charley, you are a gem!! And a gentleman as well.
CNC novices like myself benefit greatly from your skills and experience and your generosity in sharing.
From as far away as Victoria Australia I have gained much from you and I am grateful.
Many thanks
Regards, James

Charley[quote=“MitchWillard, post:77, topic:20534”]
I bought one of these from Charley and I couldn’t be happier. Great product, comes with excel sheet sheet built to make zeroing the 3 axis’s a breeze.
[/quote]

You are more than welcome, and thanks for the positive comments.

Charley

Charlie Thomas are you indeed selling this great gadget?
Cheers,
Craig

Thank you James,

Believe it or not, I have actually spent some time in Australia. I believe I was at Perth, near the Gold Coast if not mistaken. This would have been back around 1980. I was in the USAF in we were there for a joint military exercises called Kangaroo 3. I believe it was the US, Australia, and Brazil. I loved my time there. Even had the chance to sample some of the local refreshments, XXXX if I remember.

Charley