Aztec Star Wars dial

I made one a while back out of cheap pine I think the paint cane out good , sold for 400$ in a charity auction, I spray painted it black then dry brushed on some copper acrylic paint .

https://discuss.inventables.com/t/everyone-has-one-heres-mine-aztec-calendar/36779/31

Do you have a SVG or DXF file with the black for the fill, or should we do each section in Easel?

Easel can’t vcarve… yet

So what’s the best way to generate the footpath for This? Looks like his cuts are all shallow. Mine when I generate are super deep

Thank you! I was confused about the flat depth toolpath but took a second look and found it, got it all figured out! I really like this program and am using more and more everyday, hoping to phase easel out completely, super powerful program but still lots to learn!

Out of curiosity what is everyone’s carve time on this? Looks Like mine is just short of 6 hours. Gonna maybe speed the feeds uo but unsure how well mdf vcarves oh and thats for 23.5x23.5

1 Like

Alright I’ll go with 90, hope the pass depth isnt to much

1 Like

I will have to check my exact settings but I think I got it down to just under 4 hrs. And no clearing bit. Just a 60deg vbit

Also. Yes I like my v carve. Learn it and you will never use easle again. (I still use easle just to run the g code).

Same here. No issues importing gcode so far and the new feature that lets you add pages to the project make it super easy to organise.

1 Like

Thanks to you and Phil. I hadn’t figured this out either. :grinning:

I just did this suggestion but for some reason it still won’t cut the whole eyes out like in the picture posted by the OP.

I haven’t had a chance to play with it myself so I can’t give you a definitive answer right now. However, you can apply the same action to individual segments which then changes the carve areas. For example, deselect a line surrounding the eyes and see what happens. Again, I can’t give an easy answer right now until I have time to play with the file.

@kaseyHelawell
Select all and shift-select the outermost circle. You will get this:

Then, select only the outermost circle and do a profile toolpath. two seperate machining operations will get you this:

1 Like

f
Thanks for sharing, I made a 14.25 inch LED acrylic sign with your vectors. My son thinks it’s awesome and I do to.

8 Likes

DAMN that turned out nice! what bit did you use?

Nice engraved plastic!
I with Kasey, what bits did you use?

I used a diamond drag bit that I purchased on eBay for $50, my most expensive bit. Created the tool path with Aspire quick engrave. The profile cut was with a .25 o flute bit for plastic. The acrylic is .25 extruded acrylic. I’m very happy with how it turned out. It’s the most detailed acrylic I have done. I started playing with acrylic two weeks ago.

Thanks for sharing.
I was thinking of making a drag bit using the many I have that are just dremel types.

How long did that take to carve? It looks amazing!!!

Saw a video of a guy using the same type of bit, been wanting to get one, seeing this makes me definitely want one!